1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Is Believing enough?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Jake, Mar 18, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Jake

Jake New Member

Hi I posted here about 2 month ago if others had similar symptoms (had pain in both legs Like a feeling of being Charlie horse). Sometimes it affects higher up the pelvic area, and sometimes lower down. Perhaps it's when I used certain muscles. After receiving a a few responses, assuring me that indeed it can be TMS, The pain lessoned by alot the next day. I was really believing that this is TMS. Unfortunately it never went away and is still there. Although it never was intense. Thank G-D. Any thoughts? Should I be doing more to convince myself?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Jake,

I'm glad to hear of your good initial results.
    This is not uncommon and is a great support for your work.

"Believing," in my experience is central to process, as you suggest. Everyone finds their certainty in their own time and way. We build up trust in the diagnosis and in the process and in our practices to address TMS. More confidence is part of the "fuel" for your journey.

How one does this varies a lot. Keeping a list of all the evidence, the results, the little breakthroughs and reading them daily is helpful. Reading success stories helps. Reassuring statements, affirmations help some. Re-reading phrases from Dr. Sarno's books which really speak to you can help. Placing yourself right back in the moment of your initial success, the feeling, the affect, the sensation in your body can be great.

Putting pressure on yourself to "believe" more, faster, better is probably not helpful. I recommend doing it gently and inquiring into your doubts. It is a wonderful thing, confidence in the process, trust, because it removes fear. But it isn't something you magically create. It is part of what is needed.

Andy

backhand and Ellen like this.