1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Introduction

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by 1daat, Jan 24, 2020.

1. 1daat

1daat New Member

Hello everyone, my name is Mike and I just recently got diagnosed with TMS by Doctor Ira Rashbaum, before that a therapist said I fit the bill to a T. Trying to work through all of this is daunting, felt like I was in a good space but now symptoms are flaring up and doubt is creeping in.

Small portion of my journey, never felt safe as a child, issues with my father growing up. Just as we were beginning to possibly repair this relationship he died. I'm holding back tears as I write this.

2014 I get rear ended two times in two weeks and it opened the flood gates, what started as low back pain back then is presently gluteal pain, leg nerve pain and tingling etc, that became left arm nerve stuff a year ago and now most recently right arm. Can also present in upper body, neck, and scalp. During this time I started 3 companies after leaving my job in 2016, stress is daily part of my life. Unexplained urological symptoms too, tinnitus, sudden rosacea.

I am seeing Arlene Feinblatt, and attending Doctor Rashbaums lectures in February.

I am in need of some guidance, I do believe in TMS, I have seen these symptoms rise and fall, but I do not know if I believe I have TMS even after the diagnoses.

The only thing is I had a severe b12 deficiency from going vegan for 9 years, Doc Rashbam sees this as not a bad thing since I can potentially treat both simultaneously. Logically I do not see how this can be if I have been supplementing b12 daily and then continue to get new nerve symptoms.

Any advice is appreciated, I think I need to hear or read about someone with nerve pain.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome 1daat,

First, you're in very good hands with the practitioners you've enlisted. This does not eliminate doubt right away, but confidence will come in time. You don't need perfect confidence at the start.

We highly recommend the Structured Education Program which is free at the Wiki, as a support for educating yourself about your life and your experience of TMS. This will bring more confidence in the diagnosis.

I was diagnosed with Tarsal Tunnel and neuropathy, symptoms severe foot pain. None of these diagnoses were true. I went from disabled to fully athletic again, without the surgery several MDs had recommended.

I don't understand this question. Is it that you're not sure you should take b12 and do the TMS work at the same time? I think the guidance is clear here, that you take care of the physical underpinnings of a condition, and then also do TMS work. It is like resting after an injury, and if it still hurts or gets worse after two months, then apply TMS work. It is not one or the other. Not clear on your question.

Good luck in this work. Pain spreading, symptoms increasing ----all this leads to fear and loss of confidence. All your confidence can be regained, your health restored. When this happens, you'll look back at your current suffering, and it will seem like a different world.

Andy

1daat and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. 1daat

1daat New Member

Thank you Andy.

To clarify my statement on b12, I am thrown for a loop because my symptoms continue to grow after being on b12, logically I do not see how this could happen, and I think this would point towards a TMS issue.

I do think symptoms spreading and increasing is because I am taking so hard looks inward lately.

4. Andy Bayliss

I understand, and I think you have a good handle on what is going on with you.

5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

The B12 thing is just some BS to occupy your attention. Tell it to F-off, as it is just the same part of the brain that likes to tell you that your pain is 'real'. Being a hair vitamin deficient is just as much of BS regarding symptoms as disc problems are to back pain... seemingly relevant, but NOT.

MY GF has college degrees in Dance and Nutrition...and chronic TMS. Whenever she gets a new symptom, she goes out and gets a 'new' supplement...that doesn't work. B12 was last year... Now it's some other crap. She WON'T look at her personal issues because they are too painful.

That thing with your dad IS relevant. I lost mine young and it was only with a counselours help post-tms that I really looked at it. Every time I got to the page in 'Healing Back Pain' about undealt with childhood trauma, I would always Cry, but I didn't know why?

The good news is, you don't have to figure it out to get symptom free... you only have to acknowledge that it's stuff like that that is at the core of your need for a distraction (pain) and tell it to F off... that talking to your head thing that Sarno mention works AWESOME! People think I am insane BUT I am the happiest,pain free-est, joyful-est insane person in my zip code.

That is the TMS itself in a death throe. The work isn't overwhelming, but your mind will tell you it is... It'll tell you that YOUR pain is special and real...it'll tell you to be afraid and that this is too much work. It'll also lie and tell you that you need others for success...ultimately, even with the help of counselours, this is US Vs. Our ego and this might be a good time to find God, get spiritual,etc,etc,.... TMS is just a shitty tenant in our building and we're going to calmly throw him out!

Your right on time

Lainey and BloodMoon like this.
  6. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Baseball is so on target. When I was just beginning to realize the symptom loop, . . .that is, beginning to realize that my TMS was actually MY Brain creating this pain loop. . . my symptoms increased! 'oh such a stubborn brain'. This became so evident to me when reading 'Healing Back Pain' and trying to tell others about the book. Just talking about this book put me into a state of hyperventilating and breathing issues. to the point where I once ended up in the emergency room, being treated for possible allergic reactions. I fought back, continued to talk about this, continuing to have breathing issues whenever I brought this up, until ,eventually the brain gave up and the symptom loop ceased.

So yes, TMS is 'just a shitty tenant"

Kindly
    Lainey

Baseball65 and BloodMoon like this.
  7. Andy Bayliss

Well put Baseball65! The fact it seems impossible is also a TMS thing.

Baseball65 and BloodMoon like this.