1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Ingrid Bacci

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by miquelb3, Jul 6, 2018.

1. miquelb3

miquelb3 Well known member

2. Lainey

Lainey Well known member

Have not read the book, but the review indicates that she offers good advice on standing/sitting, how to properly align your body to help release the pains your mind has created in your body. Sarno and others have written that although these things we do with our bodies (sitting correctly/physical therapy/massage/resting on a good mattress, etc) may not hurt us that the real change is when we realize that these 'things' are not what is creating our pain, but our thoughts/brain that is maintaining these symptoms. This was an epiphany for Dr. Sarno and when he came to this conclusion he stopped ordering physical therapy for his patients, but just had them listen to his lectures/read his book, etc. The patients recovered well without the body adjustments or other physical manipulations.
    Lainey

Time2be, Lizzy and Tennis Tom like this.
  3. lesley

lesley New Member

I have all 3 of Ingrid Bacci's books and her cd's. They have been immensely helpful to me for many years and I still use them after 10 years. I stumbled upon her work in my local library quite some time before I discovered Dr Sarno. I would recommend her work to everyone suffering from TMS symptoms. She is a cranio-sacral therapist but I have no idea if that'd work for me as there is no way I could find a person where I live to be able to try it out. I'm not sure if she's still practising. She did have a website under her name but it's gone now, so who knows. There are lots of psychological self-searching excercises throughout her books, lots very valuable material which runs along with Dr Sarno's theories, excellent further recommended reading lists.
    Lesley.

Lizzy likes this.
  4. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

As someone who has struggled with conceptualizing tms for 6 years and gone down tons of rabbit holes I will offer my suggestion and hope it helps you.

I think Dr. Sarno is a genius and using careful observation identified the condition of tms. And while he identified all the physical aspects of a stress induced pain syndrome, he did his best to identify the psychological aspect, but left room for improvement.

Alan Gordon and Dr Schubiner have been able to advance treatment and understanding of the disorder. And I truly think following Alans pain recovery plan is the way to go.

I would stop reading other books and over researching tms like I did. It can just leave you more confused, as it did with me.

Reducing tms recovery to overcoming fear of symptoms and treating yourself a little kinder, is simple and genius. And all it takes is daily practice.

I have been a absolutely stuck for 6 years and within 1 month of utilizing this idea and talking with a therapist at pain psychology center I can't believe the difference. Every single day I get a little more freedom in my body.

I hope this helps you. And I am wishing you all the best.

MindBodyPT, Lainey and plum like this.
  5. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Good point Lainey! And I could not agree more with you ash86! It’s the practice that makes the difference - despite the fact that for some the mere knowledge of TMS is the cure. My guess it is enough for those who don’t need to make changes in their lifes and who don’t have more longstanding emotional issues. For the others, it is the practice that makes the difference!

ash86 likes this.
  6. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

I know personally of 2 book cures, and it seems like the knowledge nothing was wrong with them was enough to decrease fear to turn off symptoms. For me, my brain just seems so drowned in fear that I have to practice using tools and self talk to slowly diminish the threat.

Time2be likes this.