1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 13 Influential Source

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Rajput21, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Rajput21

Rajput21 Peer Supporter

What TMS-related book, article, or news story have you found the most helpful in solidifying your belief in the diagnosis?
    ----------------------------

The 20/20 episode with Dr. Sarno was really helpful. In the beginning, although I thought the TMS diagnosis made sense, I still had doubts. Was this just a small fringe group who was overly susceptible to wacky ideas? I wondered. It helped to hear the stories of the patients in that special, especially the lawyer (I'll be a lawyer in a year when I beat TMS). It was also reassuring to hear Dr. Sarno talk about TMS with such certainty. The fact that he was on abc also made this entire idea seem more 'legitimate' in my mind. So much so that I sent the video to my parents, who were otherwise skeptical. It seemed to help. They were reassured and didn't think the idea was completely crazy. They actually were quite supportive and honest with me. They admitted they had never been exposed to these kinds of ideas before and that if it would help me, they were behind me 100%. It's nice that they don't look at me as mentally fragile and unstable, which is something they had mentioned previously.

It's also worth mentioning that nothing has been as helpful to developing my beliefs, as this forum and the SEP program have been.