1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Infection caused flare up

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by riverrat, Apr 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. riverrat

riverrat Well known member

Sorry I'm posting again but I'm a mess. Pelvic pain flare up started last week. Honestly had been doing pretty darn well over the last year with minimal thoughts about pain and feeling so much better since the relapse in 2015-2016. ( I previously had IC symptoms from 2005-2008 which healed and have never had bladder symptoms since) then 2015 brought PFD into the picture for a year or so). even with this recent bladder infection last week, no bladder pain. Pain is all over the rest of the pelvic floor, ( perineum pain mostly and vaginal and buttock). 2 vag exams both negative to infections. Just a bladder infection, treated it, rechecked today and negative but still little improvement. because the pelvic floor is a contracted clenched up tight mess, gyno could barely do an exam today, she felt the tightness. Referred me to PT because I'm in 10/10 pain. Coincidently she had opening and I got in today. She asked me to tighten my pelvic floor. I couldn't even do it. Why? Because I was already holding s permanent kegal in there. So tight. Do I want to go this route of PT, no, but I'm in insane pain which the infection caused on a physical level. At least the PT lady was good and hopeful and said I'm taking care of this right when it started and it shouldn't last long. Hard to believe that when your in the midst of myraid of crazy burny, poky pelvic floor symptoms that keeping jumping all over the place. She confirmed my pudendal nerve is fine because no pain there. which I figured since since the flare up makes standing is so hard, and sitting is what I need to do all day. So sad, I was standing and out dancing and having sex just a day or 2 before symptoms started.
    PT gave me a book on pain. Very TMS minded actually about the brain causing our pain. She knows of dr. Sarno and completely agrees there's an emotional link to pelvic floor pain.
    I'm struggling right now so much from this flare up. So hard to even work. Pain worsens often times after I pee. I get these crazy poking stabbing sensations or burning. I had a tattoo appt scheduled awhile ago for last night. Even though I felt like crap I went. Probably shouldn't have. I think the pain signals are coming out too strong now and the tattoo hurt way more than they have ever before. But I did it thinking it might deter me from the pelvic pain. It didn't. Made it worse because I'm sure because I tightened up in pain getting it.
    I just needed to vent and for someone to tell me they've felt like this with a pelvic infections and it's going to be ok again. It's been years since I had an infection and I'm scared of what happened in 2005 for 3-4 years until i finally got rid of the pain. Hate feeling broken like this. And I wish I could cry but just can't which is so weird. Took tramodal and flexerall this afternoon from the dr which I never take meds but I asked for something to break this pain cycle. Worse now then before I took them. Just goofy in my head now. What can I do for relief...

2. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Hi Rivverrat, I know how you feel! But don’t give up. It’s a struggle. I am right now also in a flare. In the morning I had a panic attack, whole bladder and pelvic area on fire. It’s exhausting and frustrating. Another TMSer here told me once: take the bull by the horns. Be active and don’t give in to the pain. And also: be kind to yourself. Your pain is learned pain. The infection triggered the pain and the emotions accompanied but those make it worse and make it stay. I think when you focus on relaxing and remind yourself that you could get better before, you will do better. I listen sometimes to the meditations of Dr. Schubiner. He has a CD in his book Unlearn the pain. I don’t know if these meditations could be find elsewhere on the net. Those meditations helped me.
    And about painkillers: I don’t take tramadol and the like. As you say they give a fuzzy feeling in the head but don’t really help with the pain. Paracetamol might do the trick. Painkillers are like crutches, they can help to get over the worst pain and then you can concentrate on the emotional side of it. I take a painkiller if absolutte necessary, it is metamizol. It is forbidden in sine countries, but not in Germany. It works like a charm for me. I only need half the dose. In your case a muscle relaxing medicine might be better. I took them once a month or so at bedtime when my pain was really bad and I had anxiety attacks.
    I hope you are doing better soon!

3. riverrat

Thanks so much. I gotta let go of the worry and fear and then everything will relax again...

I'm so sorry you're going through this too! Had you been doing pretty well before this flare? It's crazy how a simple infection can set of pelvic floor muscle dysfunction. Did you do PT at all along with TMS work?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
  4. Time2be

No, stopped PT two years ago. I found it not really helpful. Internal vaginal trigger point massage only helped to some degree. And the effect was not lasting. I learned yoga positions that help. But now I simply dropped also, which is a mistake. Not because of the muscle stretching alone, but because they calmed me down and I had those 20 minutes of peace. I should take them up again. Right now I really feel the inner pelvic muscles pulling. So, I try to relax them by breathing.
    And yes, I was doing much better for some time, especially last year from January to September. Then I had a awful lot to do at work and in October I had pain again. Since then it is on and off. Some weeks very good (whole March) and then it comes again. It’s really important to relax and to soothe yourself. For me it works when I really follow my feelings and do in the moment what I really want. This is not always possible of course. But today for example I have a free day and i started slowly and in my pace. And the pain is much lesser!

5. riverrat

I totally know what you're saying. Pt never helped me years ago much either.,But this flare up was the worst in years. I guess triggered by that dumb infection. But I liked her mind/ body perspective and feels I only need a little help from her to get over this so I'll give her a few sessions just to help break the pain cycle a little. It's so pulled and tight feeling in there! But It truly has to come from me believing in myself to heal it again. Faith. And dealing with my thoughts and reactions to stress differently. And letting go of the fear! She told me my biggest problem is my breathing. And said I promise you'll be back in a couple years if you don't learn to breath. lol she says I do it perfectly when I make the effort but she could tell when I wasn't thinking about breathing and talking and moving around, I hardly breathe and held my breath a lot. She was spot in with that- my husband always tells me that I dont breath when I'm worked up talking. Pt said that proper breathing is the biggest part of letting the pelvic floor drop. I'm sure she's right.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Time2be likes this.
  6. Time2be

If the PT is helpful for you and is not a substitute for accepting TMS and doing the work it is fine, I think. I am working at being able to pull myself out of the fear circle. Learning to calm and soothe myself. Usually I tried to command myself ..not so good