1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

In the "real" world

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by riv44, Aug 13, 2015.

1. riv44

riv44 Well known member

I am having trouble with the mainstream.
    Everyone in my life can see my improvement, increase in mobility, and excitement about returning to my favorite exercise classes. At the same time, I am warned not to go from zero to 100, that nothing is 100%, that sophisticated imaging can show us how herniated disks pinch nerves, how scoliosis impinges on the whole structure etc. They glaze over when I talk about TMS, or the more user "friendly mind-body syndrome." Even when people in the medical community are friendly to mind-body concepts--and in Boston there are enough alternative treatments--they still talk about basic structural damage.

It makes me feel like they think I'm nuts. And yet, no more heating pads, no moaning about pain, no agony. Except for a pain in my neck which I think is due to people in my life being "a pain in the neck."

Must I stop talking about this?

Markus likes this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

For many people, telling them about TMS is not comfortable for them. They are conditioned to believe doctors and that pains can be cured by pills or surgery. You can lead some people to drink TMS, but not others. I suggest you keep TMS knowledge to yourself, as you should with politics and religion. Stick to things you mutually enjoy such as sports, movies, tv, music. That's more comfortable for them. But you go on believing 100 percent in TMS. That's the way you will heal 100 percent.

3. riv44

riv44 Well known member

But yeah, you're right...or I frame it not from Sarno but from Schubiner or the book Back Sense because they are more integrative.
    It took Sarno to shock me into action. I would not be in the place I'm in without him.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah, it depends who I'm talking to. I still have at least one good friend who is very resistant, but he's also kind of a victim, and always has been, so that's going to be a big roadblock for him. Most of my friends are at least a little open, even if they often don't know how to apply mind-body theory for themselves. Sometimes I have to gently remind them "well, you know what I think about (whatever symptom they are complaining about)". With varying reactions, but I don't press the issue unless they're interested. A few are totally into it, which is great for reaffirmation. Bottom line, as you already pointed out, is that we lead by example. But it's a huge leap for most people, unimaginable for many.