1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I'm totally convinced I have TMS now...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Justina, May 8, 2012.

1. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

This morning I woke up at 4.30am. No wrist pain, yay! No knee pain, yay! No back pain, yay! But I had a raging wrath-of-god pounding headache that has refused to go away. Ouch.

My psychologist is trying to teach me Cognitive Behavioural Therapy. Has anyone tried it? I'm not entirely convinced it'll be effective. This morning the only mental 'spin' I could think of was that since my headache had woken me up at stupid o'clock I had some time to try to settle it before I went to work. So I took some painkillers, drank some water and went back to bed with an ice pack. I know, I know, the headache isn't structural and won't respond much to treatment. But at that time of the morning and in that state I didn't know what else to do.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

With this confidence you are now on your way! Taking pain meds occasionally isn't the worst thing you can do, as long as you know it will not treat the cause of your symptoms. I am by no means a psychotherapy expert, but know that Sarno recommended psychoanalysis over CBT. As long as you know that the true cause of your symptoms are, and are in the process of investigating your repressed emotions, you are on the right path. I tend to think that the most important part of therapy is feeling comfortable with the therapist. Have you told the therapist about TMS yet?

3. Justina

Justina Peer Supporter

Thanks Forest! Lol, pain meds don't even treat my pain, it just makes me feel better than I'm doing something.

I don't have a lot of cash so I'm a bit limited when it comes to psychologists, at the moment I'm seeing a provisional psychologist at the local university. I told her about TMS and she seemed interested in it in that distant psychologist way.