1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I'm not sorry, & I want to learn more about journaling

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by giantsfan, Jan 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. giantsfan

giantsfan Well known member

I was going to start this off by saying sorry for posting so much, but... I'm tired of saying those words when not needed and I shouldn't be sorry about writing again - that's what this site is for. I was also going to say about how poorly I journal, but instead I will say I haven't learned how to journal well yet. I understand why: nobody has taught me that I needed to or how to do it previously.

So...I've been following the SEP and I am trying to go 20-30 minutes long for the past traumatic event, but I can't seem to go longer than 10 minutes on many (not all) of my events unless I go way off topic. I don't feel like I'm purposely trying to block something out, but who knows? I also noticed that I go way off tangent (I know that's acceptable) but it seems like I write 5 or 10 minutes about my feelings and that situation, then I write for 10 or so about other things I go off tangents with. Can anyone relate? I'm assuming I'll get better in time with this. Then again maybe it all doesn't matter as long as I'm writing?

2. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Giantsfan, you are doing so awesome and you don't even realize it! You are moving forward! YAY YOU!

There's no "right" or "wrong" way to journal. It's a journey. And it's not an instant quick process either. It took me months before I could journal about some very traumatic things. So I just baby-stepped my way through it. If I could write a sentence...very good. If not, that's fine too. Giving voice to what's going on in your head/heart are what's important. And sometimes we've got to go down some bunny paths while we process through things.

It's all good. I can promise you this about journaling - you will grow and discover so much about yourself.

And keep posting here, my friend. Your questions and comments help others while it helps YOU! How cool is that?

giantsfan and breakfree like this.
  3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi giantsfan,
    I appreciate what you wrote here. It sounds to me like you are seeing self-dimishment patterns, and you are not going along with those patterns. I appreciate your growing strength to occupy space and assert what you want. These good habits tend to work against TMS symptoms, because you are treating yourself better. You are being more yourself, your aliveness.
    Andy B

4. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

You are trying to hard in simple quest....people say there is a way to journal that's a bunch of bullshit ...write your thoughts as they come no right or wrong here....what I like to do I get a piece of paper fold it in 1/2 one side on top I right ants or angry negetive thoughts on the other side I will write on top positive responses to that negetive or angry thought some days I have numerous other days just one after I complete this I rip it up and throw it away good by thoughts ....when I journal I write about my day and how I felt emotionly some days 1/2 of others days a full...no science here

5. Susan1111

Susan1111 Well known member

In my opinion if you're writing a feeling which is good, bad, or indifferent down on paper you're journaling. A time limit spent, not for me way too rigid. I think of something I write it.

Be easy on yourself, not apologizing seems to be a positive step in that direction.

Warmly, Susan

6. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I do the same Susan there is no rules or process….write what you feel when you feel it.

giantsfan and Susan1111 like this.