1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 1 I'm Back!!!

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Shabda-girl, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

I was introduced to TMS a number of years ago via the internet, and read Sarno's book, and had great results. I've always suffered from anxiety, goodism, and perfectionism- my whole life- and it has always manifested via pain in my body- mostly headaches, neck pain, back pain, and stomachaches, but has affected many other areas as well. Along with feeling better and not needing to run to the chiropractor all the time (which has been proven to be an obvious short term, quick fix, because the second I start stressing- which is right away- the pain comes back), I gave the book to my dad to read, in hopes that he would not go forward with his back operation. Unfortunately, he did, followed two years later by another one- with no positive results. The pain continued, and sadly, he also developed ALS and passed away a year and a half ago. Anyway, I've fallen off the "Sarno wagon". Life has thrown a lot at me in the last year and a half and I have gotten swallowed up by an excessive amount anxiety and pain- due to the loss of my dad, then my grandfather, and now being in the process of moving my family (Husband, self, three kids, 4 dogs, and 1 cat) to another state-for husband's job- away from my extended family (the hardest being my mom, whom I am very close to), and single-parenting it for the last 4 months while my husband comes home to visit for only 5 days each month. So needless to say, I had completely forgotten my TMS skills- until recently when I was searching Andrew Weil's webpage for adrenal support, and one of the suggestions he makes is to read Sarno's book. Wham!!! What an awesome reminder, especially coming from Andy Weil, who was a friend (long ago) of my dad's (and a very smart man). My house is packed in boxes, so that means my TMS books are as well. I decided to download some more books onto my Kindle (where they can't be lost) and have begun reading them again. I remembered TMSwiki from back when Forest had just started putting it together, and decided to make a return visit. I can't believe how well and how far this site has come. Good Job!!! I was so excited to see that the free educational program is still here and better than before. I've begun again on Day 1 (today) and I'm already feeling so much better. I can't wait to join the Saturday discussions as well. Through Voice Dialogue and CBT I have received further confirmation and trust in the fact that recognition, acceptance, and allowance is the most powerful tool out there. When we resist feelings (both physical and emotional), more pain is created. And while it can truly feel like the pain/emotions will swallow you up if you just allow them to be there without demanding answers, I have found that they start to lose their power- just as Sarno states. You know that saying, "If you resist, it will persist"? Well I've found it to really is true. Remembering and practicing these skills is the most challenging part. But I'm back and I'm here to stay.

gailnyc and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Hi, Shabda-girl,
    Welcome back!!! I love this TMS wiki site. It has really helped me.
    I am sure you know there are so many great resources on here and great little video clips.

I am sorry to hear about your Dad and Grandfather. Sounds like you are really busy during
    this season in your life with your move. Thank goodness we get through these seasons and
    often the next season is spring time.

I am sure once you get back reading the Sarno books and working on the principles suggested
    in his books you will be back on track.

It so nice to meet you.
    G.R.

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Shabda-girl - it's great to meet you. I the wiki just about a year and a half ago, shortly before we moved the whole thing to this new platform. Forest is still our rock and our guru and we wouldn't be here without him! I bet he'll be excited to see you back.

I hope you have time (from where, I don't know :eek: ) to keep posting - it would be wonderful to share your insights. That is so sad about your dad, I'm really sorry to hear it. Looking back on my own dad's life with the knowledge I have today, I can see how it was cut short due to emotional stress. My new favorite author, Dr. Gabor Mate (OMG, people are going to start giving me grief for bringing him up AGAIN) talks in his book about how the stress of repressed emotions causes serious disease conditions, including ALS, I'm sorry to say. But you already knew that.

I look forward to hearing from you again - in your spare time, that is ;)

Jan

SandyRae likes this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome back Shabda-Girl

Moving, especially cross country, is extremely stressful and a definite TMS trigger. It sounds like you have quite a lot on your plate. The good part is that you have recovered in the past. Already having this knowledge will hopefully help you better address the stresses in your life. Whenever you have a relapse, it can be very easy to become frustrated and even doubt TMS. It is important to remember though, that just because you have a relapse does not mean the TMS approach does not work. It means that you are human. Have hope that you will get better, and you will.

It is great to hear that you like the progress we have made as well. There is a great group of people who have helped make this a wonderful community.

5. Layne

Layne Well known member

Girl! If you think he helps, then shout it from the rooftops. Every time you mention him I get the urge to read him more and more. Maybe the next time I will actually get his book. I think "if he has helped THIS much for Jan, he might help for me, as well!" Lol

Shabda-girl
    I know your perspective will be of great help here, and I hope you get what you need as well! Welcome back!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. Shabda-girl

Shabda-girl Peer Supporter

It is wonderful to receive such great support. Thanks to each of you for such kind responses. You each gave me great tips and reminders. I look forward to being even more active on the tms forum once I get moved, unpacked and settled. Luckily I will be able to continue each day of my structured educational program even as we are on the road, with the help of my iphone (internet connection wherever I go).