1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

If TMS disappears, will part of me as well?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by donavanf, May 21, 2017.

1. donavanf

donavanf Well known member

I am starting the SEP tomorrow, after re-listening and re-reading Alan Gordon's page, which is profoundly helpful. I've tried starting the SEP a few times, and have a hard time picturing life without TMS. The first question, "What would a life without TMS mean to you?" brings some interesting answers. On the surface, of course, it is a simple answer. It would be wonderful. But also, I hear a voice that feels like if I lose my TMS, I will be losing something vital to myself. A voice of some kind. A cry for help. If TMS disappears, will I?

2. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

I have not lost my tms. I am losing interest in my tms.

honey badger likes this.
  3. honey badger

honey badger Peer Supporter

Love your quote jaumeb!! Love it!

jaumeb likes this.
  4. honey badger

honey badger Peer Supporter

Donavanf you are very thoughtful and reflective. This is likely a strength for you in life.

Sometimes my brain does things like that ... I get caught up in my deep thoughts. In my experience, it makes me feel like I enter a maze that keeps me from finding what I need or resolving what I was hoping to resolve. I used to entertain those thoughts, and don't any more. Personally (and I could be way off here, but I'm giving it a shot in case it helps you), my gut tells me that this could be your brain throwing you a speed bump, keeping you from furthering your recovery. I used to suffer from depression and although it was horrible, there was a part in my brain that was seduced by the idea that it was "part of me" or "mine" and ending it was ending part of my personality. I tell you, now that I'm far away from those days of depression, I think, boy oh boy my brain sure likes to play games! It's like a seductive siren leading us in the wrong direction, telling us that if we fix this issue we might just lose parts of ourselves. I say laugh at that idea. If it were a cat, I would spray it with a water bottle! If I could spray my brain with a water bottle to startle it out of tempting thoughts that keep me from happiness or being pain free, I would! I really hope this helps.

jaumeb likes this.