1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

IBS TMS?

Discussion in 'Alan Gordon TMS Recovery Program' started by RedRover, Feb 25, 2022.

Tags:
  1. RedRover

RedRover Newcomer

Hi all, I am new to this forum but I have been aware of TMS for some time now. 6 years ago I was diagnosed with IBS, no structural problems were found I had an endoscopy but not a colonoscopy. I am 41 years old. I'm struggling with this IBS. It's different in some ways. Before it was pretty much under my left rib until I started doing the Recovery Program and then things started spreading all over. Well my IBS eventually went away and recently I got Covid. I was very afraid that I was going to get really sick and I had bowel issues during Covid. I recovered fine and my bowels sort of went back to normal. However, from what I read about TMS is that if it moves around it's usually a sign that it's TMS. Does this apply to IBS? Mine starts with what feels like gastritis, then moves to a feeling of fullness or bloat on both sides of my ribs, then in an hour it will move down to my pelvis, then back to my left, then the center of my stomach with nausea and then back pain, and then queasiness. None of it is really painful but definitely uncomfortable and annoying and distracting and when the nausea is there it affects my apetite a bit. How long is a diagnosis of non structural IBS good for? Should I schedule another procedure or does this sound like TMS? Thanks guys. This is hard because the very first time I felt very anxious and I could tell it was TMS and it responded better to the TMS approaches. This feels like its all over the place, I don't feel anxious that I can tell anymore and haven't for a while.

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

It could well be TMS. The fact that it moves does make it a possibility. Some of us 'feel' our emotions more in the body - and the stomach/bowel is likely - look how many saying we have - 'i am sick to my stomach', 'gut-wrenching', 'I don't give a shit'..... Candace Pert wrote an interesting book called 'Molecules of Emotion' in which she proved that our emotions are in every body system - not just our minds/heads/psyche!!
    So - expressing TMS in your guts/bowels/stomach is likely. I definitely do at times. I was diagnosed with IBS years ago - but I am fine most of the time. When I suddenly get gut-wrenching pain - you can bet that there is something stressful coming up in my life - I am going for an interview, doing an exam, going to a meeting I am dreading..... Call it out as TMS - do the TMS work - journal, meditate, get out into nature - all will be well....!

3. RedRover

RedRover Newcomer

I doubted this but right after I posted this I decided to journal. It definitely changed and it lessened a lot. I learned I am fearing a new job for the amount of responsibility it has and wondering if I would be seen as a fraud or not worth the pay. I will continue to write about this and see how it shifts around. Thank you for replying.

hecate105 likes this.
  4. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Yeah - journalling helps me a lot too - sometimes I start and i feel there is nothing to write - and then suddenly find something quite important pops out!
    Also - it is quite human and normal for anyone to be worried about a new job/position - see the thoughts you experience - but you don't have to invest in them...just look at yourself and say - 'there i go having a worry about whether i will be good enough - well that's a human response - but in reality -I will probably step up and do the job well.... even if there's a few bumps along the way. Also I can ask others with more experience if I need help or clarification - I am the new guy i deserve some support'....! Its like you are going to have those thoughts anyhow - but you dont have to run with them - you can evaluate them and change or add stuff - so that you have a positive framework to go forward with....
    I get a daily meditation thing from Fragrant Heart - here are two i received in last couple of weeks :

"My mind tells me all sorts of stories, but do I have to believe every one of them?"

"In any moment I can reframe my thoughts, and move from negative outcomes, to positive outcomes."

and my favourite this year:

"When others tell me how to live my life, I may become unsure of myself, or I may just observe what they say. I am learning not to take my thoughts, or anyone else’s all that seriously."