1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

IBS, how to overcome?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by fleurry, Jan 7, 2017.

1. fleurry

fleurry New Member

Hi guys
    I'm just new here but I've known about TMS a year ago. I believe I've had TMS ever since I was a kid cause I get sudden leg pains and fever. About 5 years ago or so I developed left neck and lower back pain, vertigo, IBS during my stressful time at work and last year I had neck spasms. Since applying ways to battle TMS, I get fewer episodes of neck pain, vertigo and spasms and I think I'm getting better at it but its a different case with IBS. I actually try to challenge myself to always try to go out and not get anxious, I think I'm improving a bit but still can't help and get afraid whenever I go out especially if it's early in the morning, travelling, or getting stuck in traffic. I'm getting obsessed about my bowel movement specially if I haven't any before I go, thinking about it everyday, about the possibility of having an accident, etc. I hope you could give me tips to recondition myself and be like what I used to be, someone who doesn't think about it for a second. Thanks!

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I suggest countering your fearful thoughts with rational thoughts. The rational, conscious part of the brain can override the primitive, unconscious brain with repetition. So everytime a fearful thought comes up, say to yourself something like "There's nothing wrong with my digestive system. This is just TMS. I'm perfectly healthy." Find the words that work for you and your situation. Try to do this every time you are aware of the fearful thoughts. Then forget about it and just go about your day.

Best wishes........

ladyofthelake and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Welcome fleurry! And I completely agree with Ellen (as usual ;))

I was never diagnosed with IBS, but along with many other symptoms before discovering Dr. Sarno (over five years ago) I was losing weight rapidly - and not in a good way. Even worse, I was banning from my diet an alarming number of my favorite foods. After discovering Dr. Sarno, I did exactly what Ellen said - I literally talked to myself and said there was no reason for any of this, and that since I didn't even believe in food sensitivities, I should start eating everything again. Which I did, and I was fine (I wouldn't mind losing that weight again, in fact, LOL).

I also realized, looking back, that I'd had digestive upsets off and on pretty much all my adult life - manifesting as being up all night with discomfort and trips to the bathroom. So the next time I started feeling some GI discomfort at bedtime, I took a few deep, calming breathes, and told myself the same thing - that having an upset stomach was totally unnecessary, and that there was no reason I couldn't go right to sleep and wake up in the morning feeling fine. It worked then, and it's worked ever since.

The fear messages that your brain generates to keep you on edge are very simplistic - it's surprisingly easy and powerful to counteract those messages with a something that is constructive (making a change), positive (promoting the outcome you want), and true.

Good luck!

~Jan

Ellen likes this.
  4. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Ellen, Thanks! I've had a tough week. I read your suggestion, tried it out and found some success. Full honesty: My head is trying to tell me that it didn't work because it didn't work every time this week. Maybe part of that rigid perfectionistic thinking.

5. Bonnard

Bonnard Well known member

Hi fleurry,
    I wish you well. Hang in there!
    My latest round of symptoms involves upper GI stuff. I've been very afraid of IBS or similar symptoms turning up with me--for all the reasons you mention.

I was struck when you mentioned that you used to be someone who didn't think about this stuff for a second. That tells me that this current situation is
    'not you' (I know I can think that the symptoms are my life now, and it gives them stronger life), it's just a current issue to work through. A temporary problem. And, you've found a solution that has worked for so many others--it can work for you too.

6. fleurry

fleurry New Member

thanks everyone! I'm applying everything you suggested and I think I'm getting better control of my fearful thoughts. I also liked the idea of using the concept of mindfulness and meditation with deep breathing! Cannot wait to be out and about again without worrying thoughts.
    Really thanks for the great support :)

7. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Think about IBS as a spastic reaction of your digestive muscles to TMS, much like neck spasms. That is it. Meditation helps with anxiety. Anxiety triggers more symptoms.

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, fleurry. I used to feel anxious while driving. or waiting for a red light to change to green. I found I could relax by deep breathing and massaging the fleshy part of my hand between the thumb and index finger. That's a yoga trick that is very calming. It also focuses the mind on that activity, so it pushes put the anxious thoughts.
    I've also tried the "tapping" technique and suggest that you might find it helpful. There are good videos on Youtube on tapping.

9. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

Interesting I think I will try that on the Freeway once I get back on the freeway... deathly afraid of them. Other times I chew gum, when I chew gum I relax.. weirdest thing!

10. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Wendy, and welcome. This is not at all weird - it's a perfect example of the distraction technique. Your brain distracts you from negative emotions by giving you an unpleasant symptoms. You can distract yourself by chewing gum. People who are addicted to substances or activities (food, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, mind-altering drugs, extreme exercise, video games, etc) are simply engaging in yet another form of distraction.

But as Dr. Sarno has explained to us, we can only heal when we recognize the distraction activity, and learn how to replace it with acknowledgement and acceptance.

A temporary fallback during times of stress is fine - as long as we recognize that we're taking advantage of a short-term coping mechanism!

11. Wendyc

Wendyc Peer Supporter

Yes makes perfect sense! I initially started chewing because of my Hiatal hernia and the heartburn, it kept the acid down then I noticed it made me feel better or calm. Months back I carried Xanax with me so if I had a panic attack or I wouldn't be able to cope with some crazy situation. I had so much anxiety from an episode that happened more than a year ago that I couldn't be without it, I wouldn't take it unless I really needed it but slowly I realized I didn't need it. Even when my son a few months ago was in the hospital I just dealt with it on my own but I carried it just for security. Now I just chucked them a few weeks ago no need to carry them.

JanAtheCPA likes this.