1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I think I'm developing CRPS

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by rand, Mar 29, 2023.

1. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I don't think anything said here is about blame, it is about helping a person in despair to change the course of action. Often it only takes to change the attitude. I know someone from this forum who was about to abandon TMS, but then he realized that he was simply too angry about his lack of success - and eventually he got better.

Cactusflower and miffybunny like this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have found @TG957 comments about how much time it took herself and @miffybunny to heal nothing but encouraging! I’m not there yet, but I will be, and I thank them both for caring enough to visit this site and help others, even if it’s with a dose of tough love because sometimes we need to hear things in various ways before it truly sinks in.
    It’s perfectly ok to have some anger at times about being stuck. You feel it, let it run through you and then you get back up and dust yourself off because you are worth this inner battle.

miffybunny and TG957 like this.
  3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you @Cactusflower ! Takes one to know one! It's much appreciated and means a lot. In order to be truly helpful, we do need to challenge the ideas of others and ourselves that are keeping us imprisoned. That's my version of encouraging, as uncuddly as it may be, it addresses the cause and ultimately leads to reaching the other side.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    TG957 likes this.
  4. TG957

Thank you! Yes, we often don't understand that we are angry, and acknowledging it can solve a lot of problems.

miffybunny likes this.
  5. thesheepishlord

thesheepishlord Newcomer

@rand I want to echo your experience. I’ve been trying the mind over matter approach for over a year and have experienced worsening symptoms. There are many times I boil over with frustration, feel like it’s impossible, and reason that the approach just doesn’t work for me. I do it as a mental shield against feeling like I’m impossible. I fall into thinking there must be some structural reason I’m the way I am. That’s a valid experience. It’s as human as any other. Each time I find a way to keep going and I encourage you to do so too. And I encourage myself too.

I’m not sure why you’re posting, but I know why I am. For me it’s disconnection. We need each other. It’s a deep, fundamental, and immutable need to be connected to others. A lack of this can cause us to feel unacceptable. If I feel that way, I don’t have the energy to do anything other than myopically address that immediate need. If I feel accepted by others, then I’m in a much more resourced position to implement long term change. So anyway, this is me sharing myself in an attempt to get some connection. I’m no expert and I’m not sure what’s best for whom. Hope you have the smoothest time possible for you.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2023
    Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  6. rand

rand Peer Supporter

Well I didn't want to post in this sad thread again but boy has my right foot gotten worse with the lancinating and aching pain. I had to get it checked out. Xray showed the bones in my pinky toe have fused together. Not sure how long its been like that, but I really don't remember that toe not being able to bend until this year. Nerve conduction shows compression/damage to the peroneal nerve in the area around the knee. This is actually the first test since all my problems started that has come back abnormal. We did the same nerve conduction test back in August of last year to see if it might reveal anything about the EM stuff, this was before this achy pain in my right foot started, and the test was normal. All very strange. At this point I think I'm baffling both the traditional docs and mindbody docs. Its like my body is destroying itself.

Over the course of this month the pain in my foot has gone from occasionally bothersome to constant pain. Its become difficult to sleep, my whole leg aches. I hate the idea of taking pain meds but I'm getting to that point. Boy I could use some encouragement.

7. TG957

CRPS is TMS. Period. I had nerve conduction study showing compressed dying nerves in my both hands, yet my hands are now pain-free, without meds or surgery, have been for 5 years.
    A year ago I was stressed out. My bunion started shooting severe pain up my leg. I suspected TMS at first and tried to ignore it, but it got so bad that I decided it was my very large bunion and all the deposits in it to blame. A month of special bunion exercise for compressed nerve - no result. As soon as my stress resolved- pain went away. But bunion is still there, big as ever, my toe twisted and less mobile as ever.

What you have is extinction burst. Go do your TMS work. Stop your doubts. Do your work.

RobOptimist, Dorado and miffybunny like this.
  8. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm late to this thread but want to add my two cents. I think the threads about doubt/belief are the best on the Forum, and I appreciate the people who are honest about their struggles. These threads always help me clarify my own experience with TMS.

I had a dramatic recovery from fibromyalgia and migraines about 10 years ago, which took me about 18 months after a brief initial book cure. Following that I definitely believed in the concept of TMS and the possibility of recovery. Still, I have had many relapses (some lasting months) and subsequent recoveries over the last 10 years. What I have learned through all this is that belief cannot just be some abstract set of thoughts.For recovery to occur I have to realize and accept that whatever the symptom(s) I'm dealing with currently, I have done this to myself. The shift in thinking from I'm a victim to I'm the perpetrator is the moment that recovery begins for me. Every damn time. And every time I let go of my victimhood, I am aware of how much I want to hang on to it.

Still, I know as I write this that my brain will come up with new symptoms in the future that will trick me again into thinking I have some illness or disability that has been imposed on me unfairly. Most recently I have experienced an autoimmune condition (Celiac Disease) that led me down a rabbit hole where I was writing down everything I ate and the symptoms I experienced each day. Finally, I realized what a huge distraction it had become and why I needed a distraction in my life at this time. I still have Celiac, but I'm not obsessed or focused on it anymore.

backhand, TG957 and miffybunny like this.
  9. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Your story is incredible. Thank you for sharing this. Solid advice.

TG957 likes this.