1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 2 I made it through the day fine on no sleep

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by MusicMan11, Jun 18, 2018.

1. MusicMan11

MusicMan11 Peer Supporter

Last night I didn't sleep a wink despite trying multiple meditations, tactics, breathing techniques, reassuring myself that I am safe and healthy, etc.

I woke up this morning pissed, groggy , dry heaving/intenselycoughing from anxiety of not coughing and fearful that the day was going to be awful (I work in Learning & Development and today was the first day of a new training class I had to teach).

However, the craziest thing happened. I decided, F**k this, I'm not going to lay in bed and wallow with anxiety and wait for a headache, I'm going to be productive. I folded laundry and took my dog for a 6am walk (I am NOT a morning person, so this is rare for me). I got back from the walk and was feeling hot and anxious. I decided, what the hell, let's take a cold shower? I did it, twice and the shock to my body felt AMAZING. My mood improved, I felt alert, anxiety lessened and I went on with getting ready for work.

I got to work and the initial high started to wear off a bit, but I just powered through and kept telling myself, you don't have a headache, but your TMS is causing you this fearful anxiety. I also had a bit of a cold from sleeping with a fan next to me, that persisted and made my chronic post-nasal drip annoying, but I ignored it. I pictured my obsessive thoughts as bugs that needed to get acknowledged and caught and that's what I did to stop them throughout the day. It was still uncomfortable and I had slight anxiety while teaching my class, but by 3-4pm, everything subsided and I went to the gym and easily ran 5 MILES on no sleep (disclaimer, I'm a runner, so not a huge accomplishment)! What "unhealthy" person can do that I kept saying. They can't because you are fine and healthy. It was so funny, as I was enjoying my run, I could feel slight aches in the back of my head at times, right abdomen, neck, knee, all of which I laughed at and ignored and they went away. I took a warm shower after, went on my way home and was fine.

Another small win is when I went to go pick up my dog at my parents, I just ate and booked it out of there. I normally have been lingering a bit lately because of that fear of going home to be alone that has developed over the past few months. The SECOND i got the leash to get the dog and walk out the door, head pressure began. I started laughing again and acknowledged that this was most likely out of fear of going home and ignored it. I then came home journaled, reread a few pages of TMBP, and am currently hear with a bit of head pressure or aches in my neck and I'm just ignoring and keep telling myself, I know what's going on, and I am not going to be bothered by it.

Today I consciously acknowledged it's all stemming from boredom anxiety/being alone > stress > fear > head pressure, chronic post-nasal drip (excess mucus) and anxiety.

I wouldn't say I am noticing a significant improvement on Day 2 like many others, but hey, I'm trying.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds to me like you're more than trying, MM - you have described multiple successes!

Don't let your brain sabotage you - continue talking back to it, reminding yourself of the truth about your health.