1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I Love Journaling

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Livvygurl, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Livvygurl

Livvygurl Well known member

I really enjoy journaling. Writing has the power to contain issues while providing a creative outlet for complianing. I used to journal before I knew about TMS, and have a drawer full of writing from over the years. My intention in writing about TMS stressors creates a different writing climate where I feel I am being more supportive towards myself. This is HUGE for my ongoing recovery and I am excited about it! I love the idea that I can write wherever and I do not have to pay, and go to a practioner to adjust me - I am doing this on my own for me! yay!! o_O

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Great stuff, Livvy! Freewriting and journaling helped me a lot too.

3. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

Yes, I agree. Writing and everything about TMS is free (even if you're a recalcitrant TMSer, like me, and need a TMS MD and a TMS therapist), and even more importantly, is something that we were RITUALLY DENIED as children--unconditional self-acceptance, and I'm not just talking about intellectual self-acceptance or words on a page; I'm talking about the ability to live life, enjoy life and occasionally fuck up, sometimes majorly--and yet realize, on a core visceral level, that it's OK because we're HUMAN and we are IMPERFECT BY DESIGN.

...and that's exactly what it is, veronica73, "free writing", and yet the gifts are SO profound.

Beach-Girl, Livvygurl and veronica73 like this.
  4. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Since time as become short for me in terms of being able to write, which I love anyway - I find screaming in my car quite lovely. Of course I need to be alone to do this, but it's "verbal journaling" as I drive around doing a lot of errands. Sunglasses hide tears! Also I simply have to call on my "TMS team" which I created before I started this journey. 3 trusted friends who simply listen to my issues and are supportive.

It's: whatever works. How great you love your journal - that it's all yours - and are benefiting from it!

BG

Shanshu Vampyr likes this.
  5. Lori

Lori Well known member

Ah, yes, verbal journaling. There were times when I was not able to write at the moment and felt the need so I did the same thing in the car. Talked about why I was so angry (sad, afraid, etc.), let the feelings arise, and then talked out instead of write. It worked too!

6. Livvygurl

I would like to try screaming in my car. I was wondering if I can do this where there are other parked cars nearby, or do I need be in a more sound proof remote area? I love singing so the vocal outlet for anger, sadness, or old child memories may be just the ticket for me. Just checking in about the sound issue ~

7. Shanshu Vampyr

Shanshu Vampyr Well known member

If you inquire at the DJ table, he might be able to point you to sound check. :)

Livvygurl likes this.
  8. Lori

Lori Well known member

I wouldn't do it where I could be overheard unless I was singing. :)

Livvygurl likes this.
  9. Susan

Susan Peer Supporter

Livvygurl,

I scream, shout and sing along in my car all the time. I live in Phoenix so windows are up at this time of year. I really do not care if anyone hears me. I just assume at this point in my life everyone else is focused on their own "stuff". If they are concerned about the noise, they can follow me to Starbucks and ask me about it.

Susan

Livvygurl likes this.
  10. Livvygurl

Totally Susan, while I am driving I love to sing at the top of my lungs, and cry if the song evokes that emotion. That is funny about the person asking you about your volume level at Starbucks, that is good material for a *SNL skit.

I was thinking about screaming stationed in a covered parking lot, with say people coming home from a long commute with their groceries. And I'd be like processing some old grief from 20 years ago :confused: (there is another skit idea) Anyhow, I think I would feel safer screaming in an open deserted parking lot somewhere. If I am not driving I may be able to focus on the release of my pent up emotions in a more concentrated way :)

Livvy ~

*Saturday Night Live

11. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

Livvy:

I live in a rural area. I take the back roads to bypass the tourists flooding our area. I see wild life back there too. This is where I scream and sometimes cry. It's about a 20 minute detour from the main highway. Sunglasses are a miracle invention if I am arriving somewhere after a "session". But I don't think I'd do this in a city. But that's just me. Scream where you want to! It's a really nice release!

BG

12. Livvygurl

Yes BG, screaming is awesome and helpful. I love wearing sunglasses after I cry!!

So, I started journaling to and from a certain body part that I wanted to work on (like a dialogue). I worked on releasing stored toxic energy from my sore and stiff right hip joint. I wrote down questions I had for my hip, and also wrote down statements, thoughts, and feelings that my hip wanted to express. I used non-dominant writing and I felt like I had an intense writing experience with this technique. Some core themes were revealed to me and some new feelings/insights found the courage to be revealed. There are so many layers to us humans!

yb44 likes this.
  13. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

I want to try this non-dominant hand journalling. It sounds I intriguing but for some reason I am worried about what may come up for me.

Livvygurl likes this.
  14. Livvygurl

Yb44,

For me the stuff that comes up is not really shocking but more like "Oh, I wasn't paying attention to that old feeling". It feels like buried feelings come more easily to the surface, and then I can have more compassion for myself because I know what the issue is about. It can be a challenge to write with your non-dominant hand in itself. Maybe as a warm up you could write a few sentences about something fun and experience the process and then slowly gear up to other topics. It is like retraining the brain - a great exercise. So in the end it feels refreshing to have such a direct link to my repressed emotions - it is like having first row seats to the concert of your life ;)