1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I had a weird expience. can you let me know what you think?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by nancy, Nov 9, 2013.

1. nancy

nancy Well known member

I had left to fly to nj for a family event. I used a wheel chair to get from the airport to
    the departure site. On my return flight to Nashville, I read Dr. Sarnos's book the whole
    way back, about an hr and and 30 min. I stood up to empty my baggage in the over head
    dept and realized for the first time in 8 yrs that I had no pain, none! I smiled thru the
    airport, took no wheel chair, I was pain free until I got home and it started again. Any
    suggestions? I have had right leg pain for 8yrs while standing or walking constantly. First time
    this ever happened. A week later I went to the Nashville Zoo with a friend and walked for
    3-4 hrs with minimal pain, can you tell me??? Love you guys, Nancy

Forest likes this.
  2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

It tells me that you have TMS, and that you are healing like hundreds upon hundreds of people before you.

The gathering of the "truth" in the information in the good doctor's book begins to seep into the deeper aspects of your awareness. It takes repetition of information, not just information, but of accurate information.

You need to get rid of the wheelchair, it's keeping you in pain. It's a prison that you build to cage your mind within.

Your pain returns when you get home because of the sensory experience of your environment that acts as a trigger.

Also, you don't have the information successfully integrated enough to hold the experience of healing, yet, but you will.

If you want to heal, you will. Keep up the good work. Let go of your emotional attachments to such things as books and wheelchairs and crutches and MRIs.... everything. Free yourself by letting.

Steve

Forest and BruceMC like this.
  3. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi there Steve, I appreciate your getting back to me about this
    experience. That was the first time I ever used a wheelchair
    my legs hurt so badly. I have stopped seeing any Dr's other than
    my GP. Last Doc was in July. I do all daily chores, food shop, cook,
    trying to ignore the wrenching symptoms. Are you saying the I should
    stop reading books pertaining to tms? Thanks Steve

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Nancy, are you the Nancy I talked to on the phone about a week ago?
    Just curious.

It's wonderful that you read Sarno's book and felt so good afterward.
    At least until you got home again.
    Maybe returning home triggered your pain's return.
    Sounds like pure TMS.
    I'd suggest you do some journaling about homelife.
    Maybe something there is triggering something similar from your girlhood.

I think Steve means don't start a home library of TMS books.
    I do think you'd get a lot out of reading his, The Great Pain Deception.
    Mainly, focus your mind on being positive. Tell yourself your pain is not a big thing,
    and don't make it a big thing in your life by thinking about it all the time.
    Take a lot of time off to enjoy life.

Good luck and we're all here for you.

5. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Once you truly get the concept of TMS, stop seeking more grails. However, we all fall into doubt in our lives. So if you need to go back to your TMS books for reassurance, then that's ok. But don't get caught in the trap of nonstop reading, that tells me people are putting off the work that needs to be done. Constant gathering of info is TMSing, because it bypasses the emotions again. I defined everything as TMSing, with a broad brush, to include anything that distracts us.

Once you have the TMS knowledge of what's going on, and what you need to do, then go do it. Dr. Sarno stated the the 2 healing pillars, first was gathering, the second healing pillar is acting on that knowledge. So once you know about TMS go live your life without fear. Easier said than done right?

Don't forget to add more pleasure to your life. I see people trying to heal "perfectly" so much so, that they get caught in the same trap that they're trying to free themselves from. Stop adding more responsibilities to your beleaguered self, as the good doctor phrased it. Have fun! Let loose, become free in your heart. Do the things you need to do, then have fun. Make sure you invite me to your party though.

Steve

tarala and nancy like this.
  6. nancy

nancy Well known member

7. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Walt, yes I'm the Nancy you spoke to on the phone! Thanks for all the
    suggestions. I'm almost finished with the Great Pain Deception, terrific
    material. If you get the time give me your take on my airline experience
    several weeks ago. I was shocked and thrilled at the same time, I hadn't
    walked one painless step in 8 yrs. Hope you are feeling well and give "ANNIE"
    a kiss from me please. Nancy

8. nancy

nancy Well known member

Steve, please help me through this. The pain in my legs, especially
    the r leg has been overwhelming today. I can't stand this any longer!!
    I am trying in any way I can, believe me please. I was always so active
    and outgoing, now just slowly going down hill. I am trying, not too hard
    to make it impossible, just trying. Thank You and God Bless you!

9. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Nancy, for me the pain stops when my brain "gets it" that I know what it is up to and am not going to be diverted. For some, a whole-hearted return to normal life, pain or no pain, does the trick. Others must "dig deeper" to uncover what they are trying to avoid. I ask my parts but there are certainly other ways. I think the common factor is determination to get past avoidance.

10. nancy

nancy Well known member

Thank you, njoy! I don't know what to do at this point. The pain is unrelenting,
    daily, all day while standing or walking. I have read all books, over and over. I
    guess I'm just a tough case. I am working on all the suggestions that have been
    offered to me, so kindly. I really don't think I am trying to avoid anything tho, my
    life was full of stress, good and bad. Please write back and offer anything you may,
    Nancy

11. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Nancy, you have reached a huge milestone already. You KNOW you have TMS. For some people, that's enough. If not, the next step is to get out of the way of whatever is trying to surface from your unconscious mind.

I know it is hard to think straight when you are in great pain. But the pain only means you are trying REALLY hard to keep something out of your awareness. It is far more a matter of letting go than making something happen:

Ask the pain what it is trying to tell you. Relax and LISTEN to the answer. Be patient and determined.

That's it, in a nutshell.

If the answer still won't come get help from an IFS therapist. He or she will teach you the process (it's easy, especially with a knowledgable guide). Many will Skype. Go here. Click on I Accept (the terms). Then (on the next page) put in your country, city or type Skype in the keywords box (I got 10 names). In a few sessions you will know how to go forward on your own. Also, Jay Earley's book Self Therapy has taught many people the IFS process.

Good luck.

PS: And join the mailing list !

12. nancy

nancy Well known member

Thank You so Very much for sending this message. It has meant so much
    to me, you'll never know. Talk to you I hope in the am. Nancy

13. North Star

North Star Beloved Grand Eagle

Nancy - How about doing something that will soothe yourself? Is there a hot tub you can go soak in? A movie you've been wanting to see? A quiet place by a stream where nature can minister to you?
    Sounds like you could you a "kind" distraction!
    Hang in there....you've seen a break in the clouds and there are more of those coming. :)

14. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

Do the Structured Educational Programme on this WikiTMS site (go to top of page - on left - click 'TheTMSwiki' then scroll down - on the left till you see 'Structured Educational Programme'
    It gives you activities and readings/videos etc to do or listen to each day. A framework by which you can work out what IS stressing you, what emotions ARE repressed and how you can relieve yourself from them.
    I read Sarno's book cover to cover - then the next morning 'called out' my pain - and it went. I had to do it hundreds of times a day to start, but every time it went. (I had fibromyalgia - so lots of pain in lots of places) I too used to use a wheelchair and lost 22 years of my life to this TMS. I needed the framework to work thru stuff because I didn't always know what had stressed me. Now I know I need to do 2 hours a day of TMS work - journaling, anger-release, meditation, reading and this forum. This keeps me 90% pain free - a bloomin' miracle if you ask me! Also I have found that other symptoms such as hair loss, IBS, fatigue and insomnia have got radically better too.
    This doesn't mean it is easy - or pain just goes and stays away. I have to work at it. I have to be brave enough to face my demons, honest with myself, and I have to put myself first and learn to say NO. I need to cherish and love myself and then my husband (and dog!) and then family, friends, work etc comes afterwards - if there's any energy left!
    The hard bit is finding out about TMS, and understanding the way the body and mind work. Then its just diligence and kindness to yourself.
    Read the books - but do the work!
    (for a scientific background to what is happening in our bodies read 'Molecules of Emotion' by Candace Pert - wow!)

Ellen likes this.
  15. nancy

nancy Well known member

16. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hey there MontanaMom, thanks for the great advice this am. I went to get
    my nails done and felt some relief of symptoms. Tomorrow I am going to the
    gym, I must, am I afraid of doing this, yes. I will get through it tho, I have
    promised myself to just move through it with ease. I feel like I'm falling apart,
    a huge bolder to me. Talk to you soon and hope you are healing, from my heart to
    yours. Nancy

MontanaMom likes this.
  17. nancy

nancy Well known member

18. nancy

nancy Well known member

Hi Hecate, thanks so much for responding! I am taking all of your
    advice, very serious about this. I needed the framework also, I have
    had so much in my life that I can't figure out what's happening. I do
    know that I have TMS. I have dealt with for 8 long yrs with leg/foot/
    and lower back pain, just unrelenting unless I'm in bed. I am also
    meditating,(NEW TO ME). I need to find a way to love myself more,
    I spent my life loving my family, always first. Rushing, Rushing to get
    everything done and make everyone happy. I don't think they cared
    that everything had to be done to perfection. I did. That was my way I guess
    of letting steam off or perhaps guilt? After my spouse's death I had to move
    to TN and am very lonely here. I do have family here, they just don't understand
    and raise their eyebrows when I mention TMS Thanks and love to you, Nancy

MontanaMom likes this.
  19. nancy

nancy Well known member

20. nancy

nancy Well known member

NJOY, thanks so much for caring. I am going tomorrow to buy the book
    by Early. I have been doing the SEP also. I feel like I'm going in a thousand
    different directions at this point. I have been talking to myself a lot for months
    about these symptoms. I feel a little helpless at this time other than my airport
    incident, that was unbelievable to me. How are you doing?? I hope all is well
    and you are pain-free. Fondly, Nancy

MontanaMom likes this.