1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

I got a job!! Advice please!!

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Jules, May 18, 2017.

1. Jules

Jules Well known member

Okay, I was just offered a full time job of my dreams - the first job outside of the home in 24 years!! My biggest issue has been a fear of getting a job and not being able to fulfill it, due to TMS, but since there is not a pathological issue (other than a separated shoulder that is healing) I have no reason not to take it. But, of course, the fear is still there and I would love some advice on how to get myself over this so I can move forward.

The big thing is being on a computer all day and the "RSI" issues I've had over the years (myofascial, nerve, carpal tunnel, et, al) and the triggers of being on a computer, (conditioning) that I really need to break free of so I can do this copywriting job.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Congrats! Dr. Sarno wrote, that at the turn of the 20th century, large teams of typists pounded away all day long on manual typewriters, and there were no reported epidemics of CT/RSI. Given this, it's ludicrous that it's become a societal meme that keyboarding on a computer could cause ANY physical damage--maybe fatigue or boredom--but not damage. The body is strong--it's the mind that's weak--not yours personally speaking.

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    Jules likes this.
  3. jaumeb

jaumeb Peer Supporter

Congrats!

4. healingfromchronicpain

healingfromchronicpain Well known member

Congrats!! I say take it!! You know your body can handle it. Worse case, if you're conditioning still wins, you can always decide later what to do... But maybe this is the re-conditioning it needs!

I wonder this for myself, too. I've been out of work since June 2009 and I sometimes have dreams (nightmares) about getting a job and then realizing I can't do it. Sometimes I wonder if I were just in the position where I just had to do it, maybe my body would be up for it and get out of the un-needed patterns it's stuck in. I did apply for one job a year-and-a-half ago but didn't get it so it wasn't an issue.

Once when I was struggling with the decision of whether or not to take a job in the past, a friend said to me, "it's not like you're joining the Army" (unless that is what you're talking about, lol). Anyway, even so, it doesn't have to be forever if it doesn't work out. But don't let your un-needed pain drive your decision. That's my humble opinion.

Good luck!!

Jules likes this.
  5. Tennis Tom

Not meaning to put you on the spot, but how do you subsist if you're "out of work"? Do you have a partner who provides or subsistence?--Just curious.

6. healingfromchronicpain

@Tennis Tom, I worked for 4 years while in a lot of pain. After I ruptured the disc in my neck, I was working part-time and getting partial disability during much of that time. But then the disability insurance provider arbitrarily cut me off. One reason was because I was trying to work some, which is totally twisted logic because I was actually saving them money by trying to work even though I was in so much pain. Anyway they pretty much forced me to apply for full disability (which required hiring a lawyer). The whole process (nightmare) took over a year. But I finally got the disability. So now I get a fraction (67% of my old salary) from the disability insurance through my former employer. But that insurance company made me apply for social security disability as well because any amount SS pays me is subtracted from what the private insurance pays me. Basically I get the same amount but it comes from 2 different sources. It took over a year for the SS disability to come through. I am also married and have a husband who has a good job--lucky for me!--because making a fraction of what I made with no increases that I'd normally get in my job, can make living on disability very difficult.

I hate being on disability and I wonder if it's subconsciously holding me back. But after 4 years of trying to do it all, I finally decided I had to give my body a break. I needed to work on keeping my marriage together, which was crumbling because of my chronic pain state, and on being there for my kids (who were 4 & 10 when I first ruptured the disc). I decided my marriage and family were more important at that point than trying to keep my job. I hated giving up my job/career that I'd worked so hard for, but that's the decision I made at the time.

Sorry for the long answer, and you didn't put me on the spot. I'm always happy to share my experience with others. I feel like that's my mission now :)

Tennis Tom likes this.
  7. Tennis Tom

Thank you for the reply! I'm on the road so can't answer in kind, but to say, THE SYSTEM we have today creates a trap, that is not good for those who want to function--it is unfair and eventually has to crumble.

Keep plugging at your Sarno and you will triumph over this stupid system that traps.

Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Ryan and healingfromchronicpain like this.
  8. healingfromchronicpain

Thank you!! This means a lot to me! It's actually making me cry. Being (feeling) trapped is a big issue with me.
    :) Thanks

Tennis Tom likes this.
  9. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

Could you kindly update on your situation? Did you end up taking the job? Hope you're doing well!

10. Jules

Jules Well known member

I just got this message. I did take the job, but quit 7 months later because of the work environment. I then got another job for a year and four months, and then was laid off. I am now working for a marketing agency as a content director, and have been there for 7 months. I was doing quite well, but lately with Covid stuff, rioting, work stresses, and overall inner turmoil, some of my symptoms have returned, especially my IBS and shoulder pain. I’m working on the fear stuff and trying to manage the emotions of late to get things calmed back down again.

How are you?

11. sarah2254

sarah2254 Peer Supporter

Hi Jules,

Congrats on working various jobs and overcoming your fears. This is a huge accomplishment in and of itself! Did you experience RSI (i.e.hand pain/carpal tunnel) at the beginning of your job while working at the computer; and if so, how did you overcome it? I am sorry you are experiencing a flare-up. You have beat this once and you can beat it again!

I am doing well. Thankfully, pain at the computer has reduced drastically and now I need to start applying for jobs/deciding whether I want to work in an office full-time again (this is what i would be doing currently if not for my RSI flare-up). Unfortunately, I did not know about TMS before and ended up leaving my old job.