1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

I feel like the term TMS is misleading

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Patrisia, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

According to the definition, myositis refers to any condition causing inflammation in muscles. I feel like this term could be misleading to anyone who deals with migraines, neuralgia, insomnia etc. and visits our site for the first time. Any insights?

2. Patrisia

Patrisia Peer Supporter

Nevermind! I realized that the PPD shows up once you are redirected to the site.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Also, the TMS site has The Mind Body Syndrome title too. This is the name that Dr. Sarno agreed in his later years could be perfectly appropriate for the condition for which he first identified as "myositis" symptoms only.

plum, Dorado and Baseball65 like this.
  4. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I prefer the “mind-body syndrome” over the muscle-focused versions of the TMS acronym. However, I personally refer to this experience as “mind-body symptoms” as opposed to a “syndrome” because every single living being experiences these symptoms at some point, and sometimes the word “syndrome” has negative connotations that make people feel as though something is wrong with them. We have all had a headache or a stomachache, blushed, etc. as a result of our emotions. This experience is important to understand as it’s very much so part of being alive (note that it’s just as important to recognize that we can overcome the symptoms). It’s not a sickness.

plum likes this.