1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hypochondria? Trying to stay calm...

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by David85, Apr 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. David85

David85 Peer Supporter

So as I've been reading success stories and case studies within the books I've become more familiar with the idea of RSI/Carpal Tunnel. I have low back pain and so just accepted them as other manifestations of TMS that people experience. I thought nothing else of it until yesterday while at my computer at work when I just began to think about the symptoms of it and suddenly I had a couple thoughts about having it myself. I felt nothing physically but for some reason it was on the brain. I reminded myself that my wrist was fine and that it was not even worth thinking about my wrist anymore as it was so obviously a case of my mind creating something out of nothing. I let a few of the thoughts come and go and am just telling myself it all will pass. Anyone have any suggestions for nipping this in the bud and not letting fear get involved? I think I just need reassurance to help me avoid freaking out or obsessing about something which is so clearly psychological.

I'm just in shock realizing how powerful the mind is right now.

2. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi David,
    It sounds like more TMS if you didn't have pain there before...it's actually a good sign, now you know that the mind can create a lot of these symptoms.

I think it also takes a while to integrate all of this new knowledge. I tend to try to rush the process but sometimes it's good to cut yourself some slack.

Take care,
    Veronica

3. Beach-Girl

Beach-Girl Well known member

David:

Although you may be experiencing fear with this, Veronica is right. It's a good sign when the pain starts moving around! I think once we start down the path of learning about TMS, we think every little thing that happens to us is TMS. I believe the more we write about it and get to "know ourselves" this will pass.

Sounds like you're handling the fear well. Hang in there because it sounds like it's starting to work for you!

BG

4. Lori

Lori Well known member

David, it takes time for this new information to sink into our brains. If you think about how we are conditioned to think--to look for some physical reason for every pain/condition we have, and for how many years we have been conditioned that way, it's not surprising the brain needs time to change its thinking.

It's always encouraging to read of others who have recovered from similar situations and visualizing (thus believing) that you can be one of those healed ones too. But it usually doesn't happen overnight. Being patient and loving with yourself is one of the best gifts!

Best wishes for healing!

Forest likes this.
  5. dabatross

dabatross Well known member

its all about fear just remind yourself that its fear trying to overcome your thoughts and move on from it. like ive said i think the biggest component of TMS/MBS is fear so if you get thoughts like this just look at them as fear and move on its not going to become reality if you dont let it

6. Steve

Steve New Member

David
    Time to rejoice!!! Pain moving to a new area after thinking about it is proof positive it's emotional in source and will not harm you. I've found trying to push the thought out doesn't work. I accept it, tell my brain I know it's tricks and that I'm fine and it passes in time. I've found mindfulness approaches (e.g., Germer's mindfulness for self compassion) helpful in dealing with these thoughts. You've got your brain on the run; keep up the good work!

Forest likes this.
  7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Great points, Steve (and others).

Just to clarify, David, have you had any "RSI" style symptoms yet?

8. David85

David85 Peer Supporter

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! My initial panic was brought on by the fact that this was something new, that I felt coming on, and even though I knew was psychosomatic, was powerless to stop. But reading your responses reminded me that not only was this common with TMS, but a good sign! It put me at ease, so thank you. To answer Forest's question, I've been experiencing numbness, no pain, in my wrist for the past 3 days while at a computer. Luckily, because I know what it is I've been able to continue working (although I will say it's been pretty annoying). I can't say my low back pain has completely left, but I think I can say it's been better, since my attention has been focused on the wrist instead. I'm currently trying to balance between telling the wrist issue to go away since I know what it is, but at the same time being patient with it while I continue to work through the structured program (completed Day 5 today).

9. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

Hi David,
    Sounds like you're doing really well, I'm happy for you.

:) Veronica

10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

I thought this was a great thread to bring back guys- when I hear do ya have any ideas I think well have you thought about what might be emotionally bothering you?
    Then I often wonder does it work every time? this thinking emotional/ and psychological
    I thought although I've had a lot of good success with emotional thinking I sometimes don't always corner the pain in this style.

I honestly don't think I try hard enough at times- even though I work on tms healing at all times, sometimes I just think well-
    I've out grown that step.
    I can now just think of the emotional issues and bam, ( most of the time) well often that is the case but sometimes when I get stiff and yes I still get stiff sometimes-
    I think well ill think emotional and add in not fearing it and then add in something to do so I will lose the focus that tries to set in.
    I really believe each time we have a new issue we have to really pour the whole bag of tools on the symptom to win the struggle, then I write it in my happy journal that once again I beat another form of tms.
    Cool.

nancy likes this.