1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

HSP - highly sensitive person

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mouser, Jul 25, 2016.

1. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

Are people with TMS also often HSP?

Elaine Aron talks about high sensitivity in her book and on her site http://hsperson.com/ (The Highly Sensitive Person –)

I am HSP and am wondering if others identify with this? I haven't seen any correlation but it seems to make sense.

I am also perfectionist and goodist.

Lunarlass66 and hecate105 like this.
  2. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Mouser,

Aron's book is very insightful. I considered it something of a godsend when I first read it. I am an HSP and recognise those same traits in many people with tms.

Most of the HSP's I've known in my life have gravitated to creative endeavours or some kind of therapeutic occupation, places where they can safely use their sensitivity and where other people are generally similar or at least empathic and aware. Much of regular life can be quite bruising otherwise.

I certainly don't conflate TMS and HSP, they are quite different but there is a crossover in populations which makes for interesting reflections.

In recognising we are highly sensitive we are able to incorporate this delicate gift into our healing and into who we are in ways we may have struggled with pre-TMS. Some of the more bullish types may dissent and insist such sensitivity is simply another manifestation of tms but even within that protest you'll notice how lacking in HSP qualities they are. I mention this not to criticise but as an observation only.

Life becomes immeasurably rich once you fully embrace your sensitivity.

Plum x

3. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

I think my HSP is an innate quality. I wonder how much it contributes to my TMS.

At 50 now, I am pretty comfortable with who I am, but when I was younger, I certainly had quite a few insecurities. I certainly could have repressed quite a bit. I know in my marriage to X-Narc I sure did. Both with him AND his family.

Now I can just be who I am. :)

plum likes this.
  4. EricFeelsThisWay

EricFeelsThisWay Peer Supporter

Do I think that if I were less sensitive, I would have less pain? Yes. The trick is figuring out how to clue in to the details to be sensitive to and zone out of the details that cause you undue stress.

mouser likes this.
  5. lavendertealatte

lavendertealatte Peer Supporter

I too am an HSP. My husband noticed this when he first started dating me. He said I would pick up on how others were feeling and care more about it than the average person.

mouser and plum like this.
  6. mouser

mouser Peer Supporter

I just passed the part in SteveO's book on HSP and Myers Briggs type.

I am INFP as well as HSP, so I am both of his tagged types.

Wow.

7. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Interesting...

It's been a while since I read Steve's book so I don't recall details but I am INFJ.

I wonder what types other people here are?

mouser likes this.
  8. readytoheal

readytoheal Peer Supporter

INFP- and highly sensitive

mouser likes this.
  9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I'm a HSP too and thanks to learning about TMS have been able to modify that at least a little.
    A favorite aunt once told me, "You're too good for this world." I'm 86 and still learning how to take what life gives
    and let the rest bounce off.

mouser and readytoheal like this.
  10. lavendertealatte

lavendertealatte Peer Supporter

I am INFP as well.

mouser likes this.