1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

how to stay positive and not fear ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Davenyc1, Jul 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Davenyc1

Davenyc1 New Member

Hi what are the best ways to stay positive, believe and not be afraid ? I know I have tms for like 20 years and it usually takes me a couple years to beat each problem I have. I probably have had 12 different symptom areas. Every time I get close to beating my pain or issue I feel amazing and then my mind starts worrying about the dumbest things and then another new scary pain starts. Recently I went from stomach pain and bloating and digestive issues which I finally beat to now having pain in my testicle. I went to a urologist and he said seems like nothing but the pain is there and fear of not being normal and things getting worse is there. I also fear that it’s going to take me 3 years to beat this new pain. I know that mindset needs to Change for me to get better. So How can I train my mind to not be so scared of every pain?

2. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Hi! I totally get where you are coming from. I am currently working with an amazing therapist at pain psychology center and this is what she taught me....

When you have those fearful and self critical thoughts think of that voice as your inner bully. She even had me pick out a name. When you have fearful thoughts, realize it's the bully trying to scare you, but that you don't have to listen or take those thoughts as the truth. And the reality is, your brain is only sending you those thoughts because it feels unsafe and is trying to protect you, but people with tms have overprotective brains. So the majority of the fears are overexaggerated. And fear about the symptom is the only thing perpetuating it. It doesn't have to take years to get rid of each one, once you can see your fear isn't the truth of the state of your health.

Wishing you luck! I hope this helps.

Ellen and plum like this.
  3. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Oh, I want to add what's helped me become less afraid of the pain. And I can see the less i fear, the less pain.

When you feel tms pain it's your brain once again becoming overprotective of your body. Pain is a danger signal, but our poor scared brains are interpreting normal sensations like stretching, contracting or just being, as pain. If you focus somewhere you have no pain, you just notice neutral sensations. But the area in pain, you only feel pain. It's just your brain misinterpreting sensations and giving you pain because of fear. Remind yourself there is no damage and nothing to be afraid of. :)

Asherman27, Ellen and plum like this.
  4. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

Ha! I'm going to call mine Gerda! (No offense to possibly very nice Gerdas here.)

SHUT UP, GERDA!

plum likes this.
  5. ash86

ash86 Peer Supporter

Lol!!!! I call mine Traci. I just think, oh boy Traci there you go again. Calm it down. Haha! ;)