1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Tutorial How to make a video blog

Discussion in 'About This Site' started by Forest, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone. I thought it might be helpful to have a video explaining how to make video blog posts like I sometimes make. People seem to really like these and they are quite simple to do if you have a webcam ($15-20 at Radio Shack or Circuit city, etc.). It's also pretty easy to make YouTube videos from most smart phones or cameras these days as well. I made a video (see below) that shows you how to do it from start to finish for people using a webcam, and I'm glad to help anyone if they get stuck.

The first time you do it, there are a number of steps, but after that it goes quickly:
    1.) Go to YouTube.com and click "Sign In" and "Create an account" then fill in the form to make an account.
    2.) Go back to YouTube.com and click "Upload" at the top to create your own YouTube channel.
    3.) Go back to YouTube.com and click "Upload" again. This time you already have a channel, so you can click on "Webcam capture" to record a video from your webcam.
    4.) After you record the video, grab the web address (URL) of the video and just paste it into any forum post you are making and the video will pop up when you make the post.

If you have any questions about how to do this, feel free to post them below. If someone is interested in this, I really want to support them because I think it would really be great for our community. In fact, if you get stuck, there is a computer program called Teamviewer that I can use to remote control computer to fix things while you watch (you have to give me a password. Read more about teamviewer here).

Here's the video. I'm pasting it in as a link because you'll want to watch it as large as possible to read what's on my screen.
    http://www.youtube.com/embed/SiVU0VmNwxs

Happy YouTubing!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Thanks, Forest. How would I do one with a slide show instead of my face? I actually did make a youtube about our dog discovering a beaver pond (still shots with captions and music) and it was pretty cool but that was years ago and I can't remember the process.

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi njoy. YouTube has a "photo slideshow" tool that allows you to make videos pretty easily. Here is a tutorial: http://petapixel.com/2013/03/14/youtube-can-turn-your-photographs-into-a-slideshow-in-just-minutes/ I can help you using TeamViewer if you get stuck.

A downside of using the YouTube tool is that by default all of the photos are on the screen for the exact same amount of time. For example, they are all up for exactly 3 seconds.. or 4 seconds. But what if you want one to be up for 3 seconds and the next to be up for 8, because you want to tell a story about them or explain an idea? YouTube does offer an "Advanced editor," but it might be confusing to use.

Therefore, if you want to do something where you are explaining or telling stories about the slides, you might want to simply use screen capture software like I use for my tutorial videos. You can display the images on the screen and record your voice as you explain them. I'd be happy to show you how.

4. njoy

njoy aka Bugsy

Okay, thanks. I'll take you up on that sometime. First, have to think of a topic!