1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How to address anger

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Shosh, Aug 5, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

I realized that the anger I've felt toward a close family member for most of my life (very deep and not always noticeable to me) is probably a huge cause of my TMS, most recently GI issues. I get so triggered by some of the things she says and does and feel such rage sometimes, which of course I try to suppress. I also feel guilty that I feel this way toward her -- like I should just grow up and move on. Of course this anger makes my symptoms worse. How do I address these emotions? Journal about my feelings toward her just when I feel them? Daily? Write her a letter I don't send? Sit in meditation and just feel the anger?

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Shosh. I felt anger toward my parents for divorcing when I was seven. The anger persisted, subconsciously and repressed long into my adult years, leaving me with feelings of abandonment and insecurity, even when they got back together a year later. When back pain led me to learn about Dr. Sarno and TMS, I journaled and discovered that anger. Then I did some serious thinking about it all. That led me to put myself in their shoes and I realized they must have had their own pains from TMS. Understanding them better helped me to forgive them. I think this same process would help you to forgive the family member and your pain will go away. You could do this and write her a letter but don't send it. Feel the anger, but then forgive her and let it go.

Gigalos and Shosh like this.
  3. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Thanks Walt. I have tried to forgive her and let it go for many years but it keeps hanging on. I feel like maybe I just have to accept the anger and not feel so bad about not being able to let it go?

4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree to accept the anger, then lighten up on yourself and let it go.

5. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

6. Shosh

Shosh Peer Supporter

Thank you both!