1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How not to obsess over or fear the pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by big_herm, Aug 31, 2021.

1. big_herm

big_herm Newcomer

Hello all,

I'm new here; good to meet you all! I'm a former athlete who's suffered chronic back pain for over a decade. Tried everything including PT, injections, RFAs...nothing ever gave lasting relief.

I recently (only a week or so ago) discovered Dr. Sarno's work and theories, and it makes perfect sense to me. I'm not having any trouble accepting the diagnosis--which I know is a key part of the process--but I still find myself thinking about/fearing the possibility of pain very often, especially when I find myself contemplating getting back to more rigorous physical activity. I reinforce to myself that I know my pain isn't a result of anything being wrong with me and go through the reminders, and it helps. However, I was wondering if anyone out there had other good methods for overcoming that fear/obsession. Thanks!

2. Sita

Sita Well known member

Hi,

What I do is I just live my life as if I'm not in pain. Even though I am. These days anyway. So...I lift weights, go out for walks, do stretching (Pilates), something every single day. I live a normal life. I don't know about other people, there are other methods too, but this is what works for me.

It helps me mentally, it relaxes me, I can be happy and joyful while in pain. You don't have to be terrorized by it, don't have to constantly think about it. It doesn't help anyway. If you constantly think about it, over and over again...you give it power, your whole life is about it. You reduce your horizon. It is in fact a form of OCD.

I don't know how to explain this but you just have to let go of it. I got so mentally tired of the pain, I just knew that I had to make some changes. I started to live my life as if I was pain free. It was difficult in the beginning but I got used to it quite fast. The mental relaxation helped me to accept, to let go, to surrender. The pain decreased. I had pain free days, sometimes weeks, other times it is still difficult.

Think about it, would you rather live in tension, fearful and in pain? Or would you rather relax in nature, exercising, having a picnic or whatever, enjoying yourself while in pain?

Just an idea to consider...

Take care.

tag24, Kittyruns, Ellen and 1 other person like this.
  3. deafheaven

deafheaven Peer Supporter

Hey,

It's a process that takes a bit of time. There really isn't any method out there. You just discovered TMS, as the fear level lowers the pain levels also should decrease over time

For me the key is indifference & acceptance. Stop trying to heal immediately, let go and move on with life regardless of symptoms.

FredAmir likes this.
  4. FredAmir

FredAmir Well known member

TMS is about keeping you focused on and fearful of pain.

Once you set your mind that you will stop doing those and make an exciting plan for an active future you no longer focus on it.

Take a look at this video on Rapid Recovery mindset

Also see this one on the mistakes that delay recovery

https://youtu.be/l1hAEbgALzM

T
    ake care,