1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How I finally overcame TMS

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by Wiser now, Mar 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Wiser now

Wiser now Peer Supporter

Hi there-
    Just wanted to share my story in hopes others can benefit. I found this site very helpful when I was suffering so here goes, shortest version as possible: I am 48 yrs old and have had TMS since I was 13. Of course I didn't know this but now with the knowledge I have learned about TMS, that's what it was. Over the years my symptoms ranged from ulcers to headaches, disassociation (a foggy blackout feeling), depression, allergies but the worst was the back pain in my upper back.
    I had an injury when I was in my 20's so when the back pain started, I figured it was just a result of the injury. Read some of Sarno's books and it went away gradually. Came back off and on over the years but all I had to do was read John Sarno's books again to remind me what I had to do. It cameback with a vengeance about 10 yrs later for no reason. Read Sarno's books again but the pain stayed so I went on a search for reason why it wouldn't go away. I went to physical therapy, TMS therapist, read every book I could find to try and figure out why it wouldn't go away. I had a feeling I knew what it was emotionally but for some reason the pain still wouldn't go away. In a nutshell this is what finally helped me overcome it. I faithfully read and did the activities I felt I needed to do over and over from Howard Shubiners book "Unlearn your pain" and "the Sedona Method" by Hale Dwoskin. What Dr Shubiner says is that you must be 100% convinced it is TMS and I was about 98% convinced. A tiny part of me thought it still could be physical. My mind would trick me over and over again and I would fall into the trap and start doing back exercises again. I had these exercise bands that my physical therapist gave me and it wasn't until I threw them in the trash that I started feeling better. Another book I recommend is Ronald Siegal's book Back Sense which I read over and over.
    The Sedona Method helped me release anger that I regularly would store up and didn't realize I was doing. I consider myself pretty easy going but had a learned behavior of being pissed off or worried about stuff that was only keeping me in pain. I have learned now to release these things instead of stew about them for 2 days. It has been almost a year and I am almost completely free of the pain. I do workout 3-4 x a week and I still get sore sometimes but I figure I am 48 and only human. I don't freak out and think I am relapsing. I don't get scared of the pain which I used to do. You are in control, not the pain. If the pain does come back I ask myslef "what is going on that is bothering me" It is all mental, our minds are amazing and those of us w/TMS just have a more advanced brain I believe! You can overcome it, I did. You just have to be faithful and educate yourself as much as possible. Hoping this will give some hope and insight to others.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

It is amazing at how freeing it is to get rid of the exercise bands and ergonomic devices. When i stopped using special keyboards and computer mouses I found my symptoms really begin to improve. I think a large part of it has to do with gaining confidence in ourselves that we no longer need these devices.

Congrats on getting better, and thanks for posting your story.

3. jessedas

jessedas Peer Supporter

Great story, thanks for sharing your experience!
    It's funny to me how much surgery would cost if people ended up going that route when faced with great pain that was really coming from TMS. There's nothing better than grabbing a few cheap books and learning your way out of pain. In my opinion that's very empowering. As someone who is new to this and recently read two of Sarno's books, I appreciate you sharing your story.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and Forest like this.
  4. James59

James59 Well known member

Yes, thank you for your story. I'm still a beginner here, but I saw something of my own situation in your first paragraph. Your comments have helped me understand the need to focus.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

I definitely sympathize with feeling mostly convinced (I haven't reached 98%) and having a lot of trouble getting to 100%. I'm going to look up the Sedona method.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Luke, I know what you mean about having trouble believing 100 percent in TMS repressed emotions causing our pain.
    I believed 100 percent about most of my pain and did a lot of journaling to discover the repressed emotions and the pain in my back and chest and shoulders went away. Not overnight, but over several weeks of believing.

I still held about about 5 percent that my remaining lower back ache was from TMS. It took a longer time for me to tell my unconscious mind it was 100 percent from TMS. I believe I know what the repressed emotion is, anger or rage, involving financial stresses, so I am telling myself it is not structural from aging (I'm 83) but from TMS. I see people my age walking with back pain, but also see people have my age walking with back pain. Some people my age do not walk with back pain. I've decided they just don't have repressed emotions. Most people do, but I consider myself lucky to have some back pain because it led me to knowing about TMS and through that, knowing more than I ever thought I would about myself and others and how to live a happier and more meaningful life. It may sound like Pollyanna, but pain can teach us more about how to life well than if we had not had any pain.

Katy Elise and Msunn like this.