1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How has your personality changed?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by keep on livin, Sep 12, 2012.

1. keep on livin

keep on livin New Member

This question is for all those who have found success fighting TMS.

Has your personality changed ever since you were able to find relief from TMS?
    For example, if you were a people pleaser are you now more assertive in expressing your wants, etc.?

I personally don't identify with Sarno's classic TMS personality type. I'm not a perfectionist or a that much of a people pleaser (though at times I could be more assertive).

Just trying to approach the problem from another perspective.

Thanks.

2. Lori

Lori Well known member

Yes, per Dr. Sarno, personality makes up 1/3 of our TMS issue; 1/3 is childhood issues (that follow us to adulthood) and 1/3 is our everyday stressors.

Perhaps do some more reading or work on the other 2/3 for now?

I am not a people-pleaser but perfectionist fits to some degree. Yes, I have learned to accept some things as "good enough" and not perfect. Too stressful!

3. veronica73

veronica73 Well known member

My personality hasn't changed. I'm still uber-perfectionist and kind of a people-pleaser at times but I try to be more compassionate and accepting of myself, even these aspects of myself.

4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I also wouldn't say my personality has changed. However, I have noticed that I have recognized when I'm TMSing and when my personality is feeding the TMS process in some way. And I really think that is part of it. You don't need to change your personality, but you do need to understand and recognize how and when you personality contributes to your symptoms.

There is also a lot of natural change just by gaining introspection that comes with doing the work. There is a gradual process of change as you begin to learn more and more about yourself. TMS psychologist, Bob Evans (who was a contributor in the Divided Mind), made a post on the old forum similar to this. He wrote

veronica73 and Susan like this.
  5. sewmuch

sewmuch Member

My personality has not changed - still intense, driven, worry about things, want things to be right - but my approach has changed. I have learned to accept, let go, or fix it if possible. When problems or challenges arise, I can usually look at it somewhat objectively, look at options, and know that the worst will likely not occur. Hardest is when there is a general feeling of anxiety and tension. This is usually an indicator that I have not been paying attention, been present, spending quiet time, and need to journal, identify and let go. I don't think your personality changes but instead you learn to work with your personality and recognize actions and reactions.

Susan likes this.
  6. Pandamonium

Pandamonium Well known member

I am probably a bit more "selfish" by that I mean I say no to things now that I would have felt I couldn't say no to in the past.
    I recognise my personality traits now and don't let the stresses build up like I used to.