1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do you overcome the fear?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by DaveBrad, Jul 24, 2017.

1. DaveBrad

DaveBrad New Member

I have recently tried to resume jogging, and after successfully running for only 5 mins, I sat down and within 5 mins I began to fear my symptoms coming on.. and with 2 mins I began to feel a increase in pain. After becoming more anxious, the pain continued to grow.

2 days on from then, i'm still in a lot of pain and fear still lingers. I know my pain is physiological, but I really need help getting out of this pain. I know my pain is due too :

Fear of more pain/damage (ironic I know)

Fear of failure of the tms recovery (possibility from my personality)

So if anyone knows how to let go of fear, please let me know

2. CarboNeVo

CarboNeVo Well known member

practice outcome independence by Alan Gordon, follow the structured program he's running theses days, also I advise you to listen to Claire weekes, she has perfect teachings how to address fear (although it's more focused on people with anxiety and panic attacks, it applies to pain as well)
    accept the fact that you wont overcome fear overnight , it's a gradual process.
    Best of luck ;)

DaveBrad likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have recently tried to resume jogging, and after successfully running for only 5 mins, I sat down and within 5 mins I began to fear my symptoms coming on.. and with 2 mins I began to feel a increase in pain. After becoming more anxious, the pain continued to grow.

When I was in that phase (knowing intellectually it was TMS but still having symptoms) I would spend my exercise or any other time that had a fear component intentionally focused on the personal problems in my life . This is the time in your recovery where you take charge and it IS work... it takes a concerted force of mental focus. Every single one of us has gone through that (or at least the ones of us that are super active)

This is where You take over. Courage doesn't mean No fear. It means having fear and doing something anyways and recovery is gonna take courage.... and we can all find it when we want it bad enough.

Desperation is a powerful motivator

hang in there...it get better