1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

How do you know if you are recovering and other questions

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by NervePain, Dec 4, 2018.

1. NervePain

NervePain New Member

I was wondering how you know if you are actually getting better? Does it lessen slowly or just gone one day?

I have had a lot of nerve symptoms that just keep changing. Overall, the pain is less. I have mostly bought into TMS but I have my moments of doubt. I am moving more but sometimes that just makes things worse? If I try not to think about it, it will sometimes calm down later. Anyone have a similar situation or advice about how to get about moving again and dealing with more pain/symptoms?

I've also had a lot of new pain locations that I just dismiss in my mind and they go away; however, my main symptoms are still there.

Also, the more I try not to think about the symptoms, the harder it is. Any advice?

Lastly, I am not having anxious thoughts but my anxiety symptoms (shakes) are through the roof.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    Coffeeplease and nightfury like this.
  2. Coffeeplease

Coffeeplease Peer Supporter

Welcome! I have been going through this process for 2 1/2 months, and my pain is getting better, I'd say I'm at about 75% today. Yesterday I felt like I was about 40%. It can be a rollercoaster, but when I look overall at the last few months I can see definite progress. From going to using a walker and barely being able to move my legs, I can now walk around with no walker, cane, or assistance. Granted I look a bit like Frankenstein when I walk but I don't mind :) For me, it is going to take more time, more acceptance, and patience. Each person is different, but you are seeing improvement, yes? The doubt and anxiousness will feed your pain. The fact that it is moving around also makes me think it is pretty clear that it is TMS, and I 've experienced the floating pain/inflammation as well.

Keep using the information from TMS wiki, what emotional issues or stress may you be experiencing? Journal, read, absorb all the information you can. Utilize the support and resources here....hang in there and would highly recommend Hope and Help For Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes. This book specifically addresses panic, anxiety, nervous illness. It has helped me tremendously!

Best wishes, and don't give up!

cdub likes this.