1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do I slow down?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jonconner, Sep 8, 2021.

1. jonconner

jonconner Peer Supporter

Hi

throughout the day I get so tense to when everything in my head and face is hurting! Even my eyes!!!

I wake up ok but slowly just ramp up and and fats on the inside and out.

it’s ruin in g my quality of life.

what can I do?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I used to have this problem. To address it I practiced mindfulness whenever I noticed I was hurrying or tense. I did whatever I was doing, but very mindfully--feeling and noticing every step I took, or what I touched, etc. It's almost like doing something in slow motion, but with deliberateness and your full attention, being fully present and non-judgmental. After awhile the habit of hurrying and tension went away. Occasionally it resurfaces when I'm stressed, but I just go back to being mindful for a few minutes and it goes away.

TG957 and backhand like this.
  3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Oh, yay! Morning anxiety! I can just feel my body start up its tension patterns in the morning!
    The great thing is, now it generally takes an hour to wind itself up. Which means I’m slowly figuring out how to slow things down. Like Ellen suggests, I use mindfulness. Somatics or meditation and journaling. I tell my brain its time to focus on these activities...then it starts running wild again but being mindful of run away thoughts is half the battle. I just bring it back.. over and over. Now those thoughts have slowed, and I have started to look at the thoughts and guide them to being more positive. Somedays are easier than others but time and patience with myself is helping. At one point they thoughts ramped up wildly again for two weeks but when I realized they were simply another symptom and equal to pain or emotion or any other symptom, they began to slow.

TG957 and Ellen like this.
  4. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

Alternate yoga breathing technique or even regular deliberately slow breathing for 3-5 minutes should do the trick.