1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do I perform somatic tracking if I dont always feel pain?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by super_broad_caster, Feb 23, 2022.

1. super_broad_caster

super_broad_caster New Member

When I started the program a few weeks ago I would always feel pain, pretty much throughout the day so it was easy to focus on during my meditation but now the pain is mainly only when I'm performing the activity that causes it e.g. typing. When I'm just sitting at rest meditating it's very faint and hard to focus on. I don't know what to focus on anymore, I feel like I spend the whole time waiting for the pain to come so I can observe it neutrally. Should I be moving away from somatic tracking now? Should I perform it while I'm typing? I'm just slightly confused about where to go from here. Thanks so much!

2. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Hello, I'm a long time meditator and a meditation teacher too. In my humble opinion, I think that the program is working for you!

Steps of what you wrote:
    - at the beginning you always had pain
    - you also felt it during meditation
    -after few weeks of the program you feel the pain only if you do something that can cause the pain

So, your pain is going away, and you have it just in some circumstances

I can suggest you to preserve your meditation, I mean, just meditate, don't use it as a tool for something. Just meditate, and your nervous system will slow down as an automatic response. And try not to call the pain.
    What I can suggest: focus on the activities that you are doing during the pain. And try to analyze what you are doing, how this make you feel, if it's something that you really want to do, why you are doing that activity and so forth. Try to track the activities that now cause you the pain, and let's find a thread.
    I'm rooting for you because after few weeks the program is working.
    Congrats and keep us posted!

super_broad_caster and Ellen like this.
  3. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

I was hoping this was a general question. How do I do Somatic Tracking. After 4 months of getting nowhere with my migraines. Do I assume I'm doing something wrong

4. super_broad_caster

super_broad_caster New Member

I really want to keep meditating because I find it really helps my mental state unrelated to the pain so I will continue. Do you think I should move toward more standard kinds of meditation e.g. focusing on breathing or body scan?

5. Dakota

Dakota New Member

Hello! Would you like to share more?

6. Dakota

Dakota New Member

I do think that meditation is very helpful in general. And also science told us that. Btw if your interested, just google " science " + " meditation" or " science" + "mindfulness", you'll find also papers around the topic of how much meditation can help the body in its healing process.
    I can suggest body scanner for sure, especially before sleeping, or during the day when you feel stressed out or overwhelmed.
    Then you can also opt for a mindful breathe meditation, so placing gently your attention on your inhaling and exhaling. And when you see that your mind is drifting away, just gently be aware of that and without any judgement, just come back to your breath.
    I can suggest you another thing: as you feel the pain, maybe during an activity, if you can, start to meditate with a deep breath in and out and then a quick body scan, also - but no only - on the part of your body that hurts. I can also suggest you RAIN meditation, by Tara Brach.
    I don't know if you use any app, I can suggest insight timer where you can find meditations for every need. The last one, RAIN, is on you tube and all over the web. You could also start to follow Jon Kabat Zinn, as he is a doctor who merged medicine and mindfulness to get out of stress situations in few weeks.
    Hope this helped!

super_broad_caster likes this.
  7. Saffron

Saffron Peer Supporter

Hi. Well. Not much more to share. Read the book. Tried the process. Finished curable which bern trying 3 years. And no change in my migraines which wake me every single day. ST was kinda my last hope as I've done sarno. Been doing mind body over 10 years. Seems it doesn't suit me, migraines. Thank you

8. Dakota

Dakota New Member

yes it makes sense. And it must be a nightmare, I hear you, Now I'm writing here with a very beginning of migraine and my hope/anxiety is always " please stop, or at least dont' get worste". And the thing that made me feel lonely, but then i found my therapist and this program, it's that people - around me- say " oh ok it's just a migraine"...without understanding the physical + the psychological pain and in my case also the isolation. Have you ever heard about https://www.naderbutto.com/index.php?todo=siminars&id=14&lang=en (- Dr. Nader Butto) ? i did it in italy, I released in a couple of times so much traumas, anger, rage, tensions, blocks and I felt better. It's a strong experience. But then My body was tender, no tension, i was like rebirth. I don't knwo if this can help, but who knows. i had so many blocks and I felt at a deeper and physical level that they went away. But then, you knwo, you need to work with that stuff, and I didn't. Anyway, I think that has been one of the most powerful remedy to all the tension and pain I had in that moment of my life. Hope it could help, Thank you for sharing.

Saffron likes this.