1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Highly Recommend The Podcast on This Page

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ShaneM, Feb 12, 2016.

1. ShaneM

ShaneM Peer Supporter

Just thought I would note that one very important factor of TMS is that it's a distraction strategy. I've had OCD, anxiety, etc. for many years and I can tell very well at this point that purpose of not only OCD, but also TMS (which are very similar processes) is to distract you from your emotions. With that said, constantly visiting this forum and reviewing TMS is the same thing as constantly looking for a physical cure; it keeps you distracted. Noting that fact, this will be the last post I ever make on this forum.

I've had a huge long experience with chronic pain and TMS since I was 16 all the way up till now (I'm now 20) and it's been a very long journey and I've learned a lot. I've yet to fully cure myself (I'm just about there, once this podcast is finished my journey towards true recovery starts) but I have a very strong understanding of how TMS works, much more so than a few years back. The last thing I will leave everyone here with is this; in terms of the physical side of TMS pain trigger-point therapy did help me. I don't think TPT is the answer but it got me back to functioning; although just functioning is not the goal. The thing I want to leave everyone with is this, and this will be my final farewell and good luck to everyone here on this forum.

Download the podcast on this page here: http://www.runningpain.com/important_tms_updates

Listen to it, absorb it, and try to understand it. Read everything this man says about TMS because he has a very strong understanding of the condition, and do your best to take in the information and then use it without it becoming an obsession then move on with your life. That's all I have to say; I bid everyone here farewell and I wish you all the best in the rest of your beautiful lives. =)

CarboNeVo and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Shane. Thanks lots for sharing your inspirational success and the podcast. It all wonderful TMS healing.

3. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Shane,

Thank you for the link. I am happy for your learning, and glad you are making your own way. Good luck.
    Andy B

4. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I really liked the podcast. Thanks for sharing, Shane. All the best on your continued journey.

5. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

In general, I have to say that I've found Monte's work to be interesting. Back when I was recovering, I found his stuff on a forum and it helped me.

On the other hand, I find Monte's thoughts on "the dangers of forums" to be silly. I think it basically boils down to "stop reading other people's ideas and only buy my book and my coaching instead." I've written my thoughts about "the dangers of forums," here:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/posts/61481/

In Shane's case, he mentioned that he has OCD symptoms, and I could imagine that leading to a toxic relationship with the forum. Perhaps he needs to take a break.

If he found the forum useful (I don't know if he does), I'd say that he might want to think about how he relates to the forum to see if he can do it in a healthier way. Can he identify when he is obsessing and then systematically question the thoughts that are leading to his fear? This is a simplified version of something called CBT, which has been shown to be helpful for a wide variety of conditions, including OCD:
    http://www.ocduk.org/cognitive-behavioural-therapy

If he can do this, he will probably find himself to be a stronger and less fearful person. I would argue that narrowing one's life by letting go of rewarding activities isn't a good long-term strategy for a rich and happy life.

Dexy, breakfree and Simplicity like this.
  6. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

To add to your comment, I definitely think Montes agenda is purely commercial:

I too, find some of Montes work interesting, but dislike how he tries to discredit other people's work when pushing his program. Especially when his career is built on the foundations of other people's work...

This is lifted from his site:

Do you understand that TMS is not a "deeply repressed emotions" syndrome?

Over the past 10 years I have consulted with 1,000's of Sarno, Schubiner & Schechter patients who are still struggling to reverse TMS pain symptoms from their life. They accept and believe in the TMS diagnosis but they are still stuck in the pain strategy. Why? They are searching for deeply repressed emotions, believing this is the key to ending their pain. TMS is not a deeply repressed emotions syndrome! TMS is a chronic pain syndrome caused by our day-to-day generation of inner tension and our day-to-day repression of emotional energy.

The above seems like a tactical ploy to get people to use his services, rather than anyone elses.

As you know Dr Schubiner includes a CD to become more grounded and mindful aswell as an online support community.

It's unfair of Monte to profess that he knows more than qualified TMS Dr's. The likes of Dr Sarno, Dr Schubiner, etc do make the knowledge available, but it's up to the individual to be dedicated and committed to apply it in their day to day life.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
    breakfree and Simplicity like this.
  7. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I agree... that certainly is silly. Although I didn't like his schtick, I did like his thoughts on TMS and that it's our day-to-day thoughts, behaviors and repression of emotions that are causing our tension.

Yes, that's not a good way to go about things, for sure.

I love this place, but if Shane doesn't, then I welcome his opinion. The last thing we want for this community is for everyone to be like mindless drones that just sits and nod in agreement - that won't do anyone any good. I think we are strong enough to handle a difference in opinion, just like you mentioned at the end of that post, Forest.

If the reason for leaving is due to issues with OCD in regard to the forum, then leaving won't help and he might miss out in the long run; there's so much great information on this site and lots of supportive people that are willing to help in whichever way they can. That being said, we all have to find our own way. If someone wants to leave, then all we can do is to wish them good luck.

Forest, breakfree and mike2014 like this.
  8. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I do like Monte's emphasis on the moment-to-moment self treatment. I think this is what Dr. Sarno pointed to in his review of patients (in The Divided Mind). The largest contributing factor in his case review was "personality" vs "history" or "current stressors." I think I can also relate to this emphasis personally, because I am aware of the "war going on" down deep.

But Monte then refutes the "deeply repressed emotions," which is very counter to Dr. Sarno's theory. I think it is our history that often informs how our personality deals with the day to day stressors, and this does trigger deep emotional responses that "don't want to be felt." That is way I map it for myself.

breakfree and Simplicity like this.
  9. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

Exactly. That's why I like Dr. Schubiner's program, it enables you to take a hard look at your past and yourself. I'm learning how to deal with the tension my past has created in me - how to let it go and to be able to be in the moment.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2016
    Forest and breakfree like this.
  10. mike2014

I agree @Andy B. I think there are so many ways to approach mind body healing.

Some are cured by reading and being aware of repressed emotions. Others, by changing their behavioural patterns and incorporating meditation and mindfulness practices.

My question on how one treats the inner child is also reflective of how people have differing views on the different elements of the healing process.

Although, I agree with Monte about being mindful. One shouldn't be so rigid or closed minded with mind body healing, one has to openly embrace as many approaches as possible and see what works.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    Forest, Simplicity and breakfree like this.
  11. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

I believe in the day to day repress emotions that fill our beaker of rage

mike2014 likes this.
  12. mike2014

Agreed. But our patterns of thinking start somewhere, so it's important to acknowledge the past to understand the present.

Boston Redsox likes this.
  13. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I have to say that having read pretty much every TMS tome written I am drawn far more to Monte's thesis than some of the Freudian type theories that have been put forward for TMS/stress illness/somatisation/physical anxiety symptoms.

What is interesting for me is that is that whilst it is obvious that Monte is offering up his insights within a business model he isn't really dressing them up as a startling new discovery...psychosomatic illness has always existed and wasn't invented by Sarno et al and I just think that Monte is stripping it back to showing how our current day stressors and personality traits in relation to these can cause us stress illness....there aren't really any smoke and mirrors with his approach.

Regarding Monte's approach to forums and the like I do sort of agree. Having said that there are people who use forums healthily and there are others who fall in to the trap of using them to procrastinate over their recovery (guilty as charged) I think the problem really is that the personality type that traditionaly fall fouls of stress illness can also be the personality type who may be more inclined to start to use forums and the like in a less than healthy way.

Agree or disagree with his approach one thing I think monte must be wholeheartedly credited for is his constant almost evangelical reiteration that in order to recover we MUST actually carry out the work and do the hard yards. One thing I get so pissed and frustrated with is the testimonies you read in books and forums of people who get to page 45 of HBP and then are fully cured etc etc...I don't bemoan them of course but it can make you feel as if you must be doing something wrong or whatever. I like Monte's approach as he stresses that the habits that have caused our problems are so ingrained and therefore it is to be expected that it can be a long journey to recovery...I feel this is realistic and far more pragmatic.

Of course, everybody is different and we all respond to different ideas and treatment protocols.

edit: as an aside I believe that Monte stated that he only ever had to read one book about TMS/mind-body illness to 'get' the theory and once he understood that it was all he had to read. That obviously wasn't his book I believe it was HBP so he isn't really pushing stuff on us but more he is really telling us to understand the theory and then start to walk the walk as opposed to just spending our days window shopping.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2016
    CarboNeVo likes this.
  14. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Shane makes some good points and has won me over about reading posts on TMS Forums being a distraction--therefore, I will not read anymore of Shane's posts henceforth.

15. mike2014

I think Forest said this so well in another posts, it's important to be mindful when using a forum.

Those who stop using a forum because they feel it's hindering healing will only find another channel to place their addictive behaviour. Likely, something far worse than a forum. The wiki can be extremely helpful in ones own growth, from both a compassion (support) and knowledge based perspective. It's known that practicing compassion can increase ones generous behavior as well as the brains responses to human suffering.

I think once one has identified he or she, is aware of procrastinating, it's important to take ownership and change, blaming a support group seems like poor reasoning. It's best to look internally first and change ones behavior, "letting go", of something (eg a forum etc) everytime we are challenged makes us weaker; the purpose is to see everything in a positive and healthy light; this can help reduce negative limiting beliefs, enforce positive thoughts and develop new, strong neural pathways which are vital in healing.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  16. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Great points Mike2014!

Hundreds, maybe thousands come here, and to the other TMS forum, get help by way of the Good Doctor's KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN, and move on to a positive path, seeing the cup as half full rather then half empty. I'm here because I'm interested in the topic, psychosomatic medicine, always have been. We were put on the planet to have a good time--at times. Dr. Sarno's message (and he is the first to acknowledge in his books those who practiced before him), that TMS is a distraction from facing what the sub-c perceives as overwhelming issues by protecting us with "symptoms"--a psych defense mechanism. His message was for us to shout, "BRING IT ON!", and deal with them, head on-- then to discover POSITIVE DISTRACTIONS to make us feel good. "Happy people are happy putters."; Frank Noblia, golf analyst.

tt/lsmft

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    mike2014 likes this.