1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

High Blood Pressure - mind body connection

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Levi, Aug 4, 2012.

1. Levi

Levi New Member

Hi,

I am new to this forum. I have a problem with malignant high blood pressure, and after reading about psychosomatic theory it is clear to me that it is all caused by repressed anger emotions. I am currently on several blood pressure medications and want to stop taking them because of the side effects. Also, every time I take a pill it reinforces my monitoring of the problem.

I would like to stop taking these meds cold-turkey, but am worried about stroke or cardio problems. For starters, I just need for a licensed health professional here to let me know that the problem is emotionally based and harmless. My current BP is averages 140/220.

2. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Levi and Welcome,

TMS can manifest itself a wide number of conditions and symptoms, including hypertension. There is a chapter in the Divided Mind about hypertension written by Samuel Mann. In the chapter Mann writes, It is not the emotional distress that we feel, but those emotions we have repressed and are unaware of, that leads to hypertension.

I would add however, that you may want to ask a doctor about stopping the medications, to make sure nothing bad happens. If you own the Divided Mind I would recommend reading the Samuel Mann chapter as well to learn more about high blood pressure.

Have you visited our Find a TMS doctor or therapist list? There may be a TMS doc in your area.