1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 11 Hiding emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by n3wme2012, Apr 27, 2018.

1. n3wme2012

n3wme2012 New Member

Who do I hide emotions from? I think this is a really good question. I pretty much hide my emotions from everyone. I have learned to hide them from my husband who doesn't have time or interest in my emotions. He's equally good at hiding his own. I hide them from my parents because I don't want to upset them. I hide them from my adult children because I want them to love me (probably the same reason for husband and parents). Those are pretty much the only people in my life right now. I don't have friends that I see or communicate with often. I don't work, so don't have coworkers. Doesn't everyone do that to an extent? I see it in a lot of people, but most of them don't have pain. Now that I see that typed out, I wonder if it is correct. Maybe they do, but it is pain from "real" medical issues. From what I have read so far, I'm beginning to think that more people suffer from this than I realize. Many of the people I am talking about are still able to work and perhaps that is the cut off line for me for being a functioning human or worthwhile human. If you're still able to work, even if you are in a lot of pain, you're ok. Therefore, by extension, I am not ok. Probably something I will have to work on.

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

The problem that creates TMS is when we hide our emotions from our self. In other words we repress the emotions so that we aren't even aware or conscious of what we are feeling. Hiding emotions that we are aware of feeling from others can be useful, particularly in a work situation. But in situations with persons we have intimate, close relationships can result in relationship problems, but probably not TMS.

Mary80 and Lizzy like this.
  3. Lynn S

Lynn S Peer Supporter

You are a functioning, worthwhile human being. I'm so glad you're here to share your thoughts and experiences.

Wheather the list of who we hide our emotions from is long or short doesn't matter. It all begins with ourselves. My emotions are so good at hiding I don't know they're there. When I write down a thought of how I feel or felt about just one thing and sit with it for a while I've learned how to allow these emotions to surface.