1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 10 Hidden emotions

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Hopeful, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

Today's question asks about hiding your emotions from someone in your life. In response I can think of a couple of occasions when I did that from my ex-boyfriend. In doing so the emotions weren't not unconscious however but I chose for different reasons to not express them. So in this case would the act of just not expressing certain emotions contribute to physical symptoms? I had awareness of the emotions but I still stuff them down so to speak. Although I agree with the ideas behind TMS as a diagnosis, I am questioning what Dr. Sarno says about simply unearthing your emotions in order to get rid of your physical pain. What if you do that but yet are filled with a lot of toxic a motions? For instance, I may be aware of a fear that I have but as long as I keep being fearful, won't my autonomic nervous system remain in a hypervigilant state? And won't that cause me to continue to have physical symptoms as my body is responding to what it perceives as a threat?

2. Enumo

Enumo New Member

Hopeful, you are seeing destructive patterns(thats a good thing) :)
    You are aware of a fear, as long as you do not accept the fear, tell your self its okay to feel it and
    act upon it(dont know your fear so cannot make an example of it.)
    It will stay the same and you will stay in a hypervigilant state. Youre half-way there Hopeful.
    Break the cycle and the threat will go away(and some or all possible pain.) Or it will maybe shift.
    Keep up the good work!

Enumo

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Hopeful. Repressing your emotions from your ex-boyfriend could very well cause pain symptoms.
    I think it bothers you enough that it would be good if you could resolve it. Maybe just write him a note
    explaining your feelings. But you might not want to reopen the situation.

I believe Dr. Sarno is right in that unearthing our repressed emotions can cause pain, and to relieve it,
    we have to at least accept those emotions. We don't really have to solve the problem being the emotions.
    I think it would be best if we could, such as forgive someone or forgive ourself. But he says that just
    recognizing the repressed emotion can end the pain. Good luck, and I hope you won't let the dilemma
    cause you fear, worry, or anxiety. Try to just make peace with it.

Your ex-boyfriend may not even wonder about the situation. He may have found his own peace with it.
    I've left some relationships danging, up in the air. I was just not able to explain why I had broken it off.
    Time passes and seems to resolve our relationship problems by itself.