1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Hi ladies! Increased pain during menstrual cycle?

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by alexandra, May 28, 2014.

1. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Ouch my pain increases during my menstrual cycle, it always has. This month hit me very hard (today) after an almost pain free day yesterday! Not just back and leg pain but arms as well. It must be the hormones making the body more sensitive. Or maybe a conditioned response or both. I'm conditioned to feel pain during cold weather etc and many other situations which I am slowly becoming aware of. I usually ignore it but today was a hard day for me, I still enjoyed a sunny day at the park with my doughter, sometimes I feel I'm living just for her, she's my strength in the fight to heal from TMS. I wish everyone well :)

2. Mermaid

Mermaid Well known member

Hi Alexandra

It used to be the same for me, I would suffer horribly when I got my period. If you think about it PMT is pre-menstrual tension, since TMS is caused by tension it would make sense that symptoms could increase. As my TMS improved so did the effect of my hormones, so now it doesn't really bother me. One way of losing the conditioned response to anticipating your period, is to lose track of when your next cycle will be, so you're not tensely waiting for it. It worked for me, so my period arrives with no tense build up.

Lotus likes this.
  3. alexandra

alexandra Peer Supporter

Thank you Mermaid! I believe you suffered from similar symptoms as me as I've read others posts you've made. You give me hope. thank you for responding and I will take your advice. I live in a home with many of my husands family members at the moment, it is a huge house but filled with tension, we are moving into our own place after the summer which should give me the peace I need to move on with my recovery, in the meantime I take everyone's advice, work on healing, and enjoy each day as best as I can. Conditioning is a major block in my recovery, I'm sure others will agree. I Wish you well :)

4. xanax26

xanax26 New Member

Hello Ladies! Can I just say how nice it is to find other people who have similar experiences about this TMS especially in the women's health department. I have or had believed that I have severe PMS and other gynecological problems such as fibroids, endometriosis, infertility and hormonal imbalance that now I have linked to my TMS. I really feel that these problems are attributed to the conditioning that we have about our health and the essence of being a woman. I am still trying to figure things out and really have faith in the fact that these problems, the pelvic pain, etc are just all TMS and conditioning that our brains anticipate for us every month. Also, I think our psyche produces a kind of Herxheimer reaction to the truth that we found about our TMS it's like it doesn't want to let go of it's grip on us that's why the more we got aware, symptoms just move about and becomes haywire.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Ladies, you might get some help on this from the new subforum, "Ask a TRM Therapist."
    Forest just posted this:

I am very excited to announce the launch of "Ask a TMS Therapist," a new resource where you can directly ask specific questions to a TMS therapist from the Pain Psychology Center. This is a fantastic way to get support directly from therapists who are trained in the TMS approach.

Your question will be assigned to one of four therapists. Their response, along with your original question, will then be posted publicly on the Ask a TMS Therapist subforum.

The more questions we have the better this resource will be, so please submit your questions! In fact, if you see anyone else who needs help, please encourage them to submit their questions as well.

Anyone can submit a question by filling out the Ask a TMS Therapist form:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forms/ask-a-tms-therapist.1/respond

For more information about this resource and the participating therapists, visit the Ask a TMS Therapists Subforum:
    http://www.tmswiki.org/forum/forums/ask-a-tms-therapist.47/