1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Here we go... Day 1

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by soxfan3530, Aug 28, 2013.

1. soxfan3530

soxfan3530 New Member

Hello everyone. Just wanted to create a post to introduce myself an tell you a little about myself. Im a 29-year-old male who has been in chronic pain for the past 2 years. I had weird aches and pains before, especially when working out, but nothing like this. It started after a rough night in Vegas and a panic attack that turned out be heartburn. From there I constantly worried about heart (everything came back fine), acid reflux (my dad had esphogaus cancer, but beat it because he's a rock star!) then lymphoma, chrons, fibro, etc. I kept going to doctors only to hear everything came back normal. The crazy thing was, I definitely had pain and symptoms! I never viewed myself as an anxious person, but i must admit that is all i have been thinking about the past few years. I wake up expecting for the pain, constantly think about the pain, and google up a storm. When one thing gets ruled out, the pain seems to go away for awhile and something new crops up. I now know that this is a classic TMS symptom. For instance, when i was worried about my heart, my chest was always tight. Then when i thought i had lymphoma, my armpits hurt constatly. My stomach hurt to to the touch with chrons. Now with this whole fibro thing, my fingers ache and my forearms feel like they are on fire.

My mom had something similar a few years ago when my dad got sick, but got better when she had everything ruled out and my dad got better. This is my inspiration and now I'm hoping a program like this is the ticket I need to turn this around. I am in the process of accepting that I have TMS, although I have not seen a doctor to confirm this so any thoughts would help! My biggest hurdle to start is, how will i ever learn to constantly forget about the pain. Will i have this pain forever? If i do get better, will it come back and i will just end up in the pain cycle again? Will i be able to change my personality, emotions enough for this to work?

I take solace in the fact that this is day 1 and i have time to manuever between these land mines. The idea of living with chornic pain is admitedally a daunting one. I have a wonderful family and girlfriend and want to experience the rest of my life to fullest, without the pain!

Thanks for hearing me out!
    All the best!

2. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

You're in a great place! This is a fantastic program. All your answers are inside you, but this work can help you find them.

I can totally relate to the fear of illness. I've had it since childhood. I think mine has always been tied to some sort of feeling of inadequacy, as if I don't deserve to be healthy and happy and I should I always be saddled with something to worry about. I also think this is a large part of my TMS. I'm still a newbie here but almost all of my TMS pain has gone away since I started this program. As a bonus, my body feels healthier and stronger, as if I'm being renewed from the cellular level, and I don't have nearly as much anxiety in general. Just follow the program and trust that you're on the road to becoming your best self!