1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Helpful reading

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pinkyandthebrain, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Pinkyandthebrain

Pinkyandthebrain New Member

Hi there!
    I just wanted to share some additional literature that I found helpful

Letting go: The Pathway of Surrender

and

Healing and Recovery

Both by David R. Hawkins

If the spiritual stuff scares you/putts you off ... keep reading it still works!!

Good luck!

Lots of love xx

tgirl likes this.
  2. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you! It sounds like you’ve achieved success with the TMS/mind-body method - that is fantastic. Are there any other methods you’ve benefitted from as well?

Also, as a 90s kid, I appreciate your username!

Pinkyandthebrain likes this.
  3. Miller

Miller Peer Supporter

Interesting you say that because the spiritual stuff really does scare me and put me off.. I have been "on and off" with the TMS approach for this very reason. Everytime I start to dig deep and look at the past I get extremely overwhelmed and concerned that I'll never come to terms with things and therefore I'll never heal. And my symptoms get worse and I give up and return to doctors and neurologists etc.

4. Miller

Miller Peer Supporter

By the way @Pinkyandthebrain I have read both books you recommended and I still wasn't sure what I was supposed to do about all these feelings and emotions

5. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

Do you have anxiety for some reason? your statements are connecting on it.

6. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

@Miller, I agree with @mugwump that this sounds like anxiety. But you can overcome it! Have you tried techniques like cognitive behavioral therapy? Are there things you look forward to? What makes you feel safe?

7. Miller

Miller Peer Supporter

Hey @Dorado we've talked before on here. I always end up back here to try and get to the root of the problem, but I've had a very colourful past and I don't know where to begin coming to terms with some stuff. I've tried therapy but possible with the wrong people as never felt supported. I have started on a low dose of an SSRI because I was really not doing well mentally. I'm also pregnant which complicates things. I think I approach TMS in the wrong way a couple years back, as something to get rid of, to be scared of. And my brain has adapted to that state. So everything seems quite scary to me including the past, the future, all of it. I'm letting the SSRI do it's job (I asked for Prozac which is meant to be the oldest and safest one) and am already feeling a bit more balanced and confident that I can change my thinking

Lizzy likes this.
  8. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

There are two companions to chronic pain: anxiety and fear. It is debatable whether they are the primary cause of chronic pain as your body simply breaks down by the weight of these two emotions, or they develop simultaenously with chronic pain as a result of stress. In my own experience, pain was not getting any better until I took on my emotional well-being head-on (pun intended!). As I dealt with fear and anxiety, pain started slowly receding.

Since then, I am convinced that it is impossible to fully overcome TMS pain without learning how to deal with emotions. Pain and negative emotions are connected vessels. People on this forum often report that with the decrease of pain they see increase in negative emotions, such as fear, anxiety, anger, rage. The opposite is also true. As for spiritual discussion here, one doesn't have to become a stereotypical New Age convert in order to learn how to deal with the emotions, there are routes based on very dry neuroscientific findings on benefits of emotional hygiene to your physical health. Everyone chooses for themselves whether to go on medications like SSRI, and I am not advising anyone here on it. For myself, I decided long ago that no drugs is always better than drugs - if I can achieve the same outcome through meditation, mindfulness, healing arts (yoga, Qi Gong etc) and exercise.

Cap'n Spanky and Dorado like this.
  9. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

I feel more relaxed just reading the title! Thanks for that.

I just finished a discussion with my Sufi group on the "fallow times" in our life. I am thinking that the way we "do" including "doing who we think we need to be" is so fundamental to our lives, and so needful of rest sometimes.

I think this is true in TMS experience, perhaps an important function of this affliction: that we are stopped in our lives by symptoms so that something else might happen. And I do think that this "happening," this unstructured space we're invited into takes us closer to what we normally avoid, including what we don't feel down deep.

Part of the "resting time" ----whether it is in sleep, or meditation, or a moment of not knowing, is that we're not in control and that we "know less" than we normally do. This is scary for me. I don't want to slow down! I don't want to "know less." As hard as it is, not identifying with knowing or getting something done, even getting better is a deep, mysterious part of our lives. The Dark Night of Soul.

I understand Miller the fear of the unknown. I feel in your approach that even in this process you're doing, there is little to actually "do" and that your gentle intention, your kindness toward yourself, your wish for healing is quite enough in itself. I feel a kindness toward yourself about your fear. I'm thinking that just knowing that something wants to reveal itself, some important thing(s) perhaps, and being patient about the arrival is a wonderful way to understand this for yourself.

10. braveheart

braveheart Peer Supporter

When I first started doing TMS work, even with the help of a TMS coach I felt the same way. That I would never tap into my emotions in a way to bring the pain down and I have been living with excruciating, debilitating pain for a very long time and the process has been difficult but rewarding. If you are in a position to get help from a TMS counselor or coach I would highly recommend it. I have been at this for a year and am just now starting to notice slight shifts in my pain. For some, like me it is a slow process and I know for myself I could have never put all this together (not saying putting it all together is complete, it's always a process) without the help of a TMS coach. There is a list here on the wiki of counselors and coaches, and some offer telemedicine visits especially during the pandemic.

11. Miller

Miller Peer Supporter

Hey @TG957 that makes sense. I agree with you re medication but had to admit defeat after a long time trying meditation, yoga etc. I really needed something to help me achieve some more balance and address this from a calmer state of mind.

Pinkyandthebrain and TG957 like this.
  12. Pinkyandthebrain

Haha thank you I thought it was appropriate. Ive had moments of success but I am still working on it. It is up and down. As both Sarno and ‘Healing and Recovery’ say hardest but important thing is to reach a state of indifference when it does come back. But moments Of feeling fine have made me believe it is indeed possible which is great. It turns out I indeed had a great deal of sadness/ grief to let out... which was quite hard and scary to go through. It is holding all of that in that is such hard work!

basically, as these books also suggest, the trick is to focus on the sensations (feelings/emotions) without judgement!!! I definitely have been guilty of telling myself I shouldn't feel certain ways! You have to try and feel all of it (quite terrifying at times haha) I was so shocked how much was there. Shocking how much pain is repressed and been there all that time! But i can feel both my pain improving but also my mood!! Good luck!!

13. Pinkyandthebrain

ps... what is helpful are his explanations that the body cannot experience itself! Our experiences happen in the mind and within consciousness! Therefore what we think can indeed have a huge influence! It matches - i believe what sarno says. Very interesting!

14. Pinkyandthebrain

I guess you just need to feel the sensations in your body, your emotions without judgement. For me the realization that the body is experienced in mind and consciousness really helped. Also the idea to stop resisting pain and seeing ones self as a victim. Good luck!

15. Pinkyandthebrain

From my understanding one does not always have to look at the past. But be able to fully be in the present. Feeling all the feelings (sensations in the body). Repressed and very intense ones might come up so this is not necessarily easy. But sensations if felt will eventually pass. I still have more coming up... and it can be quite intense... but i guess it needs to be done

16. PainNoMore

PainNoMore Peer Supporter

sounds like somatic experiencing. i've been doing this too. pretty good results.

Pinkyandthebrain likes this.
  17. evkinsey66

evkinsey66 Newcomer

Thanks for sharing.