1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Alex B. help with pushback pain

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Guest, Sep 28, 2016.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    New to the forum. I have been familiar with TMS since late spring. I bought into it as a last resort. After reading the book I actually felt as though I was making headway. Then after I decided to no longer pursue e injections, my pain started to amp up again and now is daily.

Background- Backpain 2 plus years; MRI- L5-S1 mild compression with annular tear; injection x-ray showed facet joint arthitis same area. Two rounds of PT. Seeing a counselor and just started acuouncture,p.

Lots of different opinions, most of which are not supportive of the TMS in its entirety. I feel like I am going alone.

Is it normal in the healing process of TMS to get pishback pain?Even leaving over to lift the toilet lid in the mirning causes pain. My hip flexors are so tight.

2. Alex Bloom LCSW

Alex Bloom LCSW TMS Therapist

Answer
    Hi, thanks for the question.

It is indeed normal to experience some "pushback" pain as you begin to pursue the TMS approach to your pain. After deciding against the injections and feeling you are going it alone, it would make sense that there is some more internal uncertainty and pressure, especially if you have some doubts about weather or not your pain is actually caused by TMS. I would recommend trying to get in touch with a physician familiar with TMS, even if it is only through email, as having that perspective on your pain can be extremely helpful. If all the experts around you are doubting it, it can be very hard to feel like it is the right way to go. The good news is that as you say, you noticed some difference when you began reading. This is often one of the best indicators that you are dealing with a psychogenic rather than a structural issue. Having a physician confirm it can be extremely helpful.

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.