1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Derek S. Help with multiple symptoms

Discussion in 'Ask a TMS Therapist' started by Anisha_d87, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Anisha_d87

Anisha_d87 Peer Supporter

This question was submitted via our Ask a TMS Therapist program. To submit your question, click here.

Question
    Hi im new to all of this and really need some suggestions,i apologise for the long post also
    Ive been getting pelvic and lower back pain sometimes upper including piraformis pain and body twitches and numbness and spasms for 3 months, this includes urine frequency and urgency.
    The pelvic pain started first and was very acute which then led to the rest of the above.
    Next is a little brief of my life:
    Im 29 yrs of age have had history pf anxiety ocd and depersonalisation body symptons include tinnitus which has been chronic for many years,eye floaters, slight tmj all of which i attributed to the anxiety.
    Now since the pelvic pain i have researched online pudendal nerve damage,( got extremly scared) too many horror stories. Anyway ive seen a physio and chiro who have mentioned my spine and pelvis are tilted and i have some overactive muscles in pelvic floor, ive been cleared for stds hiv. Also. My question is , would my tilted pelvis and spine be classed as "structural" issue?All of my symptoms historically and now keep leading me to think its all tmj but i havent had any ct or mri to rule out possible ms or neurological illness, the muscle spasms and body numbess could essentially all be tmj also . I dont know where to begin in this process of elimination. Its only been 3 months but im keen to seek guidance on when to pursue tmj approach.
    Sorry for the long message! Xxx

2. Derek Sapico MFT

Derek Sapico MFT TMS Therapist

Answer
    Thanks for your question, Anisha.

It definitely sounds like you have a history of TMS that has taken multiple forms. It's impossible for me to say with any certainty whether or not these new symptoms are due to TMS or something structural. My understanding is that a tilted pelvis should not cause you to have such symptoms as this issue is rather common and typically asymptomatic. That said, I would recommend that you go through the medical imaging necessary to truly rule out any serious pathology. If possible, do this with doctors who are familiar with a mind/body approach or, at least a doctor who is conservative with her interventions and treats the whole person rather than just treating the "pathology." There is a list of TMS doctors here on the Wiki that should be a good place to start.

All of your symptoms could certainly be caused by TMS but it is vital that you have more serious causes ruled out before committing yourself fully to a TMS approach to recovery.

-Derek

Any advice or information provided here does not and is not intended to be and should not be taken to constitute specific professional or psychological advice given to any group or individual. This general advice is provided with the guidance that any person who believes that they may be suffering from any medical, psychological, or mindbody condition should seek professional advice from a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions. No general advice provided here should be taken to replace or in any way contradict advice provided by a qualified, registered/licensed physician and/or psychotherapist who has the opportunity to meet with the patient, take a history, possibly examine the patient, review medical and/or mental health records, and provide specific advice and/or treatment based on their experience diagnosing and treating that condition or range of conditions.

The general advice and information provided in this format is for informational purposes only and cannot serve as a way to screen for, identify, or diagnose depression, anxiety, or other psychological conditions. If you feel you may be suffering from any of these conditions please contact a licensed mental health practitioner for an in-person consultation.

Questions may be edited for brevity and/or readability.

3. Anisha_d87

Thanks derek, ive seen many physios and chiros and they have stated that my tilted pelvis shouldnt be causing this much discomfort, im not sure what else to rule out, do most people see neurologists also before committing to the approach?

4. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I have had weird sensations in the past and still do, so for myself, I thought it was prudent to see a neurologist to rule things out. It does give peace of mind to a certain extent. I think if those results come back negative you can accept TMS more easily.

Anisha_d87 and Boston Redsox like this.
  5. Anisha_d87

Nhs are awful at referring to neurologists, i'll have to beg

6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I think that basically any GP should be enough to rule out anything serious, because a GP can figure out if you need to be referred to a neurologist. Basically, the idea of ruling out something structural is just to make sure that you aren't in any danger. A GP can tell you if there is anything dangerous that you need to take care of. Most GPs won't know about TMS and so can't diagnose you with TMS. In fact, they might even pooh-pooh TMS, but that's fine. When you read on a TMS site or book to rule out anything structural (or organic or serious), they just want to make sure that you've ruled out anything dangerous. People don't want you to miss out on urgent care that you need if there is a condition you have that you don't know about.

Bottom line: talk to a GP. I'm not a doctor, so I can't tell you what to do, but my bet is that if you see a GP and you have a structural problem that is dangerous, they will tell you.

By the way, if you're in the UK, you might want to contact Georgie Oldfield, a TMS physiotherapist. She'd be able to help you sort this out in a moment.

Anisha_d87 likes this.
  7. Avy

Avy New Member

I also have pelvic tilt and pelvic pain but I never even thought it could be the problem. In my opinion when TMS strikes your muscles start shortening and go into the spasm. This is usually about psoas muscle and when it shortens your pelvis starts to tilt. So, in order to fix that your muscles must relax and they are probably in spasm because of TMS. Don't know if this is the correct theory but that's how I explained it to myself :)

TJuerg and Anisha_d87 like this.
  8. Anisha_d87

This makes sense to me, thank you

9. Anisha_d87

Hey, thanks for your response,theyve preety much ruled out anything serious
    Ive called Georgie , she's told me to read either sarnos or her book, see how i get on and call her if i need additional support☺️

10. Forest

That sounds great. I know that when I say, "rule out anything structural," what it really means is to rule out anything serious. Only a doctor has the training and experience to confirm that any given course of action is safe, and I know that I feel better when people take the necessary steps to rule out anything serious.

Sounds like you are on the right track. Good luck! :)

Anisha_d87 likes this.
  11. Anisha_d87

Thanks forest! Youve been very helpful xxx

12. Forest

So how are you doing, Anisha? Do you think that what you have is TMS?

13. Anisha_d87

Hi forest, im doing good,better than when i last posted. Thanks for asking ☺️
    Im treating it like tms for sure. I've been meditating, journalling when i feel like it and just ignoring the symptoms. Ive been more open with my feelings and emotions and already i can feel my personality actually changing. ( no more people pleasing, putting pressure on myself, learning to say no etc)
    Im more aware of my body( ive been practising mindfullness everyday when i can)and its reduced the fear of the sensations drastically. Somedays i just dont care what ever is going on down there( pelvic area) and other days i feel sad. But im feeling watever emotions need to be felt which is the way forward i guess.
    At this point i feel good. The pain shifts nearly every other day which validates tms for me.
    Ive had wrist pain left hand , foot pain, neck pain. Never had these before. The pain itself in my pelvic area keeps changing, i feel like different muscles are being targeted week by week.
    Im still educating myself on ways to relax and read success stories whenever i feel i need to for that extra reassurance.
    other than that im all good ☺️☺️ Thanks for checking up xx

14. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

I often wonder if there is anybody who has gone to chiropractor/osteopath and who hasn't been told that they have a twisted/tilted pelvis and/or leg length discrepancy. It really is a crock of a diagnosis.

15. Forest

Thanks for the update, @Anisha_d87. It sounds like you're on the right track.

Anisha_d87 likes this.
  16. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Chiro and osteopath are all crocks

17. Huckleberry

Huckleberry Well known member

Yeah, pretty much agree. I think some of them are helpful for acute injuries but the whole 'sign up for 10 sessions' hard sell really grates. I had a huge nocebo planted by an osteopath years ago when I was given the 'unstable SI joint' spiel and told I would end up in wheelchair...there was of course nothing wrong whatsoever with my SI joint.

Oh, as an aside I have downloaded the CureStress app you mentioned in the other thread...it is pretty good.

18. Boston Redsox

Boston Redsox Well Known Member

Great I find is voice very soothing and god he makes sense...does he not?

19. Vladan

Vladan Peer Supporter

you explaned it perfectly,that's how mine TMS symptoms started, worrying all the time,being anxious stressed about future,and i'ts really tightened,i feel it :;)

20. Gerymoy

Gerymoy Newcomer

as you follow ?