1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 Head pressure/ brain fog

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Elana, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Elana

Elana New Member

I have been struggling with severe brain fog for the past few years. It is exceptionally frustrating and has held me back in many areas-- studying, writing, art, connecting with friends--all things I love to do. I have mostly come to believe it is emotional, but this knowledge has not so much helped to lessen the fog. I read a bit of Sarno's book a while back, and decided last night to give a more serious go at it. I just found the SEP and plan to stick with it for the time it requires. I am grabbing on to any hopeful story I can find; I so much want this to go away.

2. freedomseeker

freedomseeker Peer Supporter

Hi Elana,

Welcome to the forum. My name is also Elana (but spelled a little differently). I am new to this forum as well, and I am currently working on day 8 of the SEP. I also struggle with brain fog, and can understand your frustration. I am still in the process of making the connection between my symptoms and emotions, and accepting it as TMS. I understand it, and it makes so much sense when I make this connection, but I still have the symptoms, although some of them have become less severe. I believe it is a process, though. And you have to tell yourself that it will take time. Hang in there and take it one day at a time. Just know that many people understand what you are going through and you are not alone. xoxo

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Elana

Elana New Member

Hi Ilana(?)
    Thank you for so much for sharing this. It is so nice to know that other people are sharing the misery--and the recovery:) This is my first experience of feeling like there are people who really get it. One of the things that turned me onto Sarno's approach now (I have been familiar with it for awhile, but it hadn't really clicked) was that I found an old thread on this forum with people describing how it had helped them with head symptoms. I also took a tip someone had posted on this forum and began a list of evidence that my symptoms are psychological rather than physical (it gets worse when I have more time to focus on it, temporarily lifts when I meditate, gets worse when I feel like I'm not accomplishing things etc. etc.). I have been feeling a lot better for the past few days since I started this and am absolutely blown away by it. I will continue to update this and hope to hear more from you<3

Ellen and wrestlingfanforever like this.
  4. freedomseeker

That is a good tip about making a list of evidence for your symptoms. I will have to try that. I am happy to hear you are feeling better the past few days. I struggle with chronic back pain, and I had noticed relief within a few days after reading a great book by Steve Ozanich "The Great Pain Deception," in which he references Sarno and his theories. I don't even worry about my back anymore. Now my attention is on my fatigue/ brain fog. Maybe that's part of how TMS works... I no longer give my back pain any attention after experiencing relief, and my focus shifted to my fatigue - which seems to explain why it has been worsening the past few days - probably due to my mind needing to find another outlet and means of distraction. I struggle with trying to not give the fatigue/fog attention and trying to ignore it - as suggested by Sarno. This is so hard to do since it causes me to have no motivation or energy to do anything. I realize that the more attention I give to it, the stronger it takes it's toll on me, and my brain is able to continue to give me these symptoms because it is working so well as a distraction. I will update my progress as well, and please keep me posted on yours! Together we can get through this :)

<3 Elaina

5. Elana

Elana New Member

It is pretty amazing that you healed your back in this way. I had an eating disorder (non-purging bulimia) for a few years and did a lot of journaling, meditation and distress tolerance work while healing from that. I was surprised by how much emotional pain I felt coming up for me. Now that my ED is gone, fatigue and brain fog are the symptoms that bother me most--very much like what you describe. And yeah, it is really difficult to do things when you feel tired and indifferent and your thinking is clouded. Sometimes my mind does start to clear when I get involved in something. At this point I much prefer emotional pain over the fog and disconnection. I do feel hopeful about this program, and so far have been finding that the daily reading and excersizes help me feel better. And yes, we'll stay in touch and beat this thing together! xoxo

6. freedomseeker

Thank you so much. I haven’t found people that have the fatigue and brain fog like I do, so it’s nice to have someone who understands. ❤️

7. Elana

Elana New Member

I totally second that. It is nice to have company and to feel like someone else gets it. I had a pretty rocky day yesterday, got swallowed in the fog, and did not accomplish much. Today has been alot better. I am finding that making schedules with specific things I want to do helps me get past the groggy feelings

freedomseeker likes this.
  8. teachthis1

teachthis1 New Member

Hey Elana, I totally understand your brain fog and head pressure symptoms since a car accident a couple of years ago. It is my most troubling symptom and drives me crazy. I just started Sarno's approach about two weeks ago, and I have noticed a big improvement in that time. Yesterday, I had zero symptoms, but today, after talking with insurance company and attorney about the accident, my symptoms have come back some. I know that this is mostly in my head. I picked up a book by Dr. Hanscom called "Back in Control" which is very similar to Dr. Sarno's books. Hanscom was a spine surgeon who has had success in treating TMS, but he calls it MBS or something like that. Stick with it and give it time and FULLY engage in it and see if it works.

9. Elana

Elana New Member

Hi there, thank you so much for sharing this. I've been having lots of ups and downs as far as the brain fog is concerned. I feel like the understanding of my symptoms as a cover for emotional pain has really settled with me and I am on the right track with following Sarno's approach. I am so happy to hear that you have been seeing improvements. <3

10. Elana

Elana New Member

I am actually blown away by this. I just had a really liberating insightful experience while journaling (day 6).

11. evlar

evlar New Member

Hey guys. I'm a little late to the party...

I'm currently running through the program for brain fog/fatigue. How are you guys doing now? It would be good to hear how things have progressed!

Elliot

12. wrestlingfanforever

wrestlingfanforever Peer Supporter

I am late to this party also, but i LOVE that there is a post on brain fog and head pressure because *raises hand* me too! It's so good to see other people on here with this because it helps me realise we are not alone and that these symptoms do fall into this mindbody stuff!

13. Elana

Elana New Member

Hey! Yes, I was also relieved to find that there are other people with this and there is some kind of explanation. I started following Alan Gordan's program about two years ago and found that there is absolutely an emotional component to my brain fog. I still get it sometimes, especially when something isn't going right and I feel helpless, hurt or like a failure. I did not complete the program back then and was thinking I'd like to revisit it now, preferably with someone else, so we could check in and hold each other accountable. Anyone up for a recovery buddy?

14. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

15. Elana

Elana New Member

Awesome! I look forward to reading it.

16. pazzorik

pazzorik Newcomer

I don't see answers from people healed from Brain Fog...