1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Have you had a hysterectomy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Ewok, Jan 1, 2018.

1. Ewok

Ewok Peer Supporter

I'm curious how many women on this forum have had a hysterectomy? And if I can be nosey, for what reason? And were you happy with that decision?

I have pelvic pain and now also prolonged bleeding (not heavy but goes for a couple of weeks with only a week in between), thought to be two different conditions. After the pill, hormone treatments etc. have failed and I've been cleared of fibroids etc., a hysterectomy has been proposed as all my doctors have left to offer me.

Dr. Sarno talks about TMS including 'gynaecological conditions that are the stuff of everyday life' and I'm wondering how far that goes...

I've read @Ellen 's story and am wondering if there are more like this.

It's been nearly three years of all this and I need to do something so am considering all options, even ones that seem so extreme.

2. Lily Rose

Lily Rose Beloved Grand Eagle

Of course you can be nosy :) It is here we can safely share our ... 'adventures'.

I had a hysterectomy when I was 31. I had ten agonizing years of pain, culminating to the point where my bleeding barely stopped. I would often go 3-3-1/2 weeks of bleeding, have a couple days off, then bleeding again. My entire life revolved around this agony and dangerous fainting issues. The last ditch effort was an experimental drug (at the time) to stop my menstruation cycle completely. It worked for a few weeks. Then the bleeding broke through. Because of my age, my doctor was reluctant, but after I complied with all her other options, there was no choice. I knew I would never get pregnant, and that was fine. All I wanted was the pain to stop. The pain so great pre-surgery, they rather overdosed me on the morphine. Two days after the surgery, I went home (they considered it astonishing, as the usual stay during that time period was 3-4 days at least). To me, the surgery pain was negligible compared to the prior pain.

I dislike the medical establishment for chronic issues. But when it comes to acute issues, they are invaluable. I have never for a single second regretted that surgery. I was utterly and totally grateful for it. The only issue left over from the prior surgery to remove a cyst, they had to leave the endometriosis scar tissue on my right sciatic nerve because they might have damaged the nerve (good decision on their part, thank you very much!). I still have some issues from that, and I did end up with a lot of other nerve damage, but it is numb rather than painful.

I also very much appreciated not having to deal with the mess ever again! ;)

Hormones was something I never took. Hormonal changes are a natural part of life, and I found alternative methods for coping with normal body changes. I consider hormones very dangerous, and what was usually given (premaren?) was at the expense of a horse's life. No thank you!

I am sure there are many more here who will have something to share. This is just my experience. I hope it helps :)

.... always with Love and Gratitude ^_^

MindBodyPT and Ewok like this.
  3. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

4. Ewok2

Ewok2 Peer Supporter

Thank you so much for your reply and sharing your experience. It’s a tricky issue with no clear answer.

Steve Ozanich mentioned in another thread that he did an interview about endometriosis so I did a search around and found it. It’s an interesting listen.

Ellen likes this.