1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 16 Have I told anyone about my TMS?

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SB, Feb 18, 2013.

1. SB

SB Peer Supporter

My partner and I both discovered it together and have been huge support for each other. I've also told my best friend and my mom. My best friend seemed politely interested and happy for my progress. My mom said that her neck pain was noticeably less after reading Mindbody Prescription, and she said that a lot of it made sense, but she wasn't ready to say that the neck pain was less because of the book. And based on some things that she told me, I don't think she really "gets it" yet. But I'm very happy that she read the book. I think she might become more open-minded and actually try to understand TMS material in the future after it marinates a bit. I told my dad briefly but haven't encouraged him to read a book or this site yet. He is more skeptical; I'll tell him after I have more successes to show. I also told people at work (partly to explain how I was able to stop wearing wrist braces). I haven't told more people both because I feel like one needs to be desperate to be willing to change one's paradigm so much and because even then it takes more than a quick elevator pitch to enable understanding. I think if I sound crazy and people quickly react and try to debunk what I've read and learned, it just creates more work for me that I don't choose to deal with right now. After I've had more major successes with TMS treatment, I plan to tell many more loved ones and maybe even some of my past health professionals.

2. gailnyc

gailnyc Well known member

Yeah, that's how I feel. I haven't told anyone except my shrink.

3. Lori

Lori Well known member

Glad to hear that some you told were open to it, if even only a little.

It is indeed sad that more people don't realize how their emotions cause physical reactions. I like the example of when you blush when embarrassed--perfect example of a physical reaction to an emotion! Or how your heartbeat quickens when scared or nervous.

But if you look at the media and talk to most doctors, I don't wonder why this outdated (and just plain wrong) way of thinking is entrenched in people.

I have found that some are a bit open to stress causing some issues, but for the most part they believe it is their body breaking down, residual pain from a surgery in 1985, etc. So sad! But that is how it is with so many, for now anyway. . .