1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone used TMS for autoimmune disorder?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freeange, May 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

Just wondering if anyone has used this program for an autoimmune disorder. I have been using the program for 12 days for fibro with good results and wonder now about applying it to hashimotos thyroiditis.

Barb M. likes this.
  2. Ines

Ines Well known member

Thanks for asking this question. I am really interested in seeing any replies to this. I tested for low thyroid and my dr. wanted to put me on medication. I am supposed to be reading up on hypothyroidism before I see her again.

3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Interesting thought. I have lupus that almost wiped out my kidneys in 2005. The miracle drugs keep me alive. However, I must say that since working through my second round of TMS (for extreme foot pain) in 2013, I haven't had a lupus flare. Maybe there is a connection.

mike2014, Freeange and Ines like this.
  4. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

Last edited: May 23, 2016
    Tunza, Tennis Tom and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. Freeange

Freeange Peer Supporter

mike2014 likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

TMS is a condition, so although I think I know what you're getting at, I'd like to say that what you are really doing is using TMS theory to take control of your mental and physical health.

TMS theory is absolutely brilliant, but many practitioners have been building on it and the new information that neuroscientists have been coming up with in the last decade is really stunning. So TMS ends up being one aspect of a much bigger spectrum of mind-body awareness and techniques that anyone can use to take charge of any aspect of their health.

Looking back to when I broke my hip in a bike accident in 2009, I can see that I used mind-over-body techniques when I refused to take prescription pain meds both before and after I had surgery to pin up my femur. Once I was x-rayed and told that I had a very simple fracture, and that if I chose the surgery I could be on crutches in two days, my pain level immediately went down, because my fear of weeks of being bedridden and future disability went away. After the surgery they kept obsessing about my pain level, and I kept saying that a couple of ibuprofen was all I needed - and I wasn't even taking those after the first week. What I was doing (without knowing the neuroscience behind it) was visualizing a positive outcome - helped, of course, by my willingness to follow all instructions and do my PT exercises without fail.

If you're interested in what one mind-body practitioner has to say about the science behind autoimmune conditions and emotional stress, please read "When The Body Says No" by Dr. Gabor Mate. He's a wonderful, compassionate writer, in addition to explaining the physiology behind many conditions that we are struggling with in the modern world.

And I just saw Mike's reply about The Connection - which is an excellent introduction to just how much farther you can take this work beyond TMS!

Freeange and mike2014 like this.
  7. mike2014

mike2014 Beloved Grand Eagle

It's available on fmtv if you use that service. I subscribed to it a few years ago and watched it and a few other documentaries.

Last edited: May 23, 2016