1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Has anyone read Psychosomatic Syndromes and Somatic Symptoms by Robert Kellner?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by sarah555uk, Jun 10, 2017.

1. sarah555uk

sarah555uk Peer Supporter

I came across a great book, it has a lot of studies mentioned in it, very scientific, it covers most common pain syndromes, IBS, fibro, Urethral/bladder pain, and much more.
    I was able to read the first chapter on Fibromyalgia, really good. He mentions a study with a control group and a placebo one where the control group improved on 50 mg of Amitriptyline. Later the mentions some case studies of his own patients.
    One lady is seen in his office with severe arm pain. After antidepressant therapy (imipramine, 60mg) she improves. He diagnoses her with psychogenic rheumatism.

Pretty fascinating stuff, I will try and buy it. Has anyone else read it? I'm especially interested in the chapters on bladder pain and chronic pain.

Here are the chapters if you're interested:

Part I. Psychosomatic syndromes. --
    Fibromyalgia, fibrositis, and myofascial pain syndrome --
    Chronic fatigue and chronic fatigue syndrome --
    Globus and fear of choking --
    Dysphagia and esophageal motility disorders --
    Non-ulcer dyspepsia --
    Irritable bowel syndrome --
    Urethral syndrome --
    Behavior-induced physiological changes : hyperventilation and aerophagia --
    Chronic pain syndromes --
    Part II. Mechanisms of bodily complaints. --
    Somatization --
    Hysteria --
    Deception --
    Mechanisms of bodily complaints : main conclusions.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  2. BruceMC

BruceMC Beloved Grand Eagle

sarah555uk likes this.
  3. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Sounds complementary to Dr. Sarno, he uses the terms TMS and psychosomatic interchangeably. Dr. Sarno gave credit to the greats of psychology who came before him like Freud, Jung, Adler, Maslow, etc.

sarah555uk likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

This book was published in 1992. There is much newer research available. It is important to note that antidepressants only treat the symptoms of TMS and not the cause. I suggest reading books by authors on TMS and the treatment protocol for getting at the cause. Full recovery is possible with the TMS approach, not just management of symptoms.

Tennis Tom and sarah555uk like this.
  5. sarah555uk

sarah555uk Peer Supporter

:) you're probably right, it's quite old.
    I suffer from nerves buzzing randomly in my body caused by vulvodynia (nerves irritating each other probably). I see you mention you also have problems with an overactive nervous system. This is my issue as well. I will buy the Sarno books asap and being TMS work. Thank you all !

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

That would be my advice too, you can buy enough TMS books to fill a cabinet--and I have most of them--TMS is my hobby--but all you REALLY need is contained in any one of them, including Dr. Sarno's first. Other complementary books, materials and "healing modalities" won't hurt you, but they can become a distraction like any other TMS symptom slowing you from getting unstuck and enjoying your life, doing stuff physically, and the emotional gratification that comes with that.

sarah555uk likes this.