1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Guidance on getting started

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mja1233, Aug 4, 2019.

1. Mja1233

Mja1233 New Member

Hello all!

I am new here and wondering if anyone can offer me some guidance.

I am a 28 year old healthy female. 3 years ago I was probably the most stressed I had ever been. I was in a horrible relationship that I was ending, my drug addicted father was dying, and the rest of my family was a complete mess. I had recently graduated college worrying about money and starting a new job. On top of this, I was moving back with my mom for a few months to pay off some school debt. I had also previously been hit from behind in a car twice in the same year. It all started with headaches and then neck pain. I attributed this to my car accidents. Soon after breaking up with my ex, I was in such fear for my safety. I kept imagining him finding me and killing me. I had convinced myself I had to move somewhere he couldnt find me. My anxiety was at an all time high. The next day I became dizzy and it is still here 3 years later.

My symptoms consisted of constant dizziness, eye strain, neck pain, light sensitivity, tinnitus, headaches, issues sleeping, and anxiety. I went through all the doctors and got all of the scans and was told "dont know." I found an upper cervical chiropractor which helped many of my symptoms but the dizziness persists. I have also had extremely tight trapezius muscles that cause me much pain. It has gotten better and I can function and work now but it is still always there and I still have flare ups. I am now probably the happiest I have been (besides the dizziness). I am engaged to the most amazing man, have my own place, secure decent paying career, and a lot of peace in my life. However, I am being held back by these symptoms and am desperate to get rid of them.

So first, does this sound like TMS? Second, where do I start? Do I read the books first? If so, which one? Do I start the SEP first or after or at the same time?

Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you for reading.

Tennis Tom likes this.
  2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

Yes this absolutely sounds like TMS. Your symptoms started after considerable trauma and have multiplied and developed chronicity despite unremarkable testing and professional workup. The waxing and waning of you symptoms is another clue. This is actually great news because with a correct diagnosis you will have profound relief. I think it is time to start making yourself feel safe. So to start with you could read Healing Back Pain for a good grounding in Dr Sarno's theories. I think you could also work on this program http://go.tmswiki.org/newprogram (Pain Recovery Program).

Tennis Tom likes this.
  3. Mja1233

Mja1233 New Member

I will do that. Thank you so much!

birdsetfree likes this.