1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 4 Great doctor! (not!)

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Josina Stresemann, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Josina Stresemann

Josina Stresemann New Member

Hey everyone,

as suggested in the educational program, i will reply to the question what is the most disheartening thing I have been told regarding my physical condition and how this has affected me:

9 years ago I visited a doctor with my 'rsi' troubles and she told me:

- the damage is permanent and i will never be able to use a computer painfree
    - the only thing i can do is take painkillers
    - I must limit my use of computers to only 2 hours a day

I have always believed this and from this day on i started to see myself as an permanent rsi sufferer and already worried about my professional carreer, making it impossible in my head to ever succeed professionaly. Back than I was a 2nd year student on university. Now I am 29 years old and without a job and the former years i have done all kinds of work to avoid computers. I am highly qualified with academic titles and ambitious but if you look at my CV you won't say so, which is very frustrating off course. So the effects have been huge. How I would like to see that doctor again and tell her in her face the misjudge she has made! Hmm maybe i actually should in order to prevent her to keep making the same mistakes...

2. Josina Stresemann

ps: second best is a physical practionar who said 'I wish I could give you a new shoulder'.... Not very motivating when you try to overcome the pain! Those remarks give carte blanche to the unconscious to create more pain, since the pain is legimate. Starting to feel angry so let's go for a run!

3. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Josina and Welcome to the Peer Network,

Your experience sounds pretty similar to my own. I also had RSI pain in my wrists, arms, shoulders, and neck, among others. When I was a teenager I wanted to be a programmer. I spent hours upon hours on the computer. In time, though, my pain prevented me from typing more than a couple minutes. One of my many doctors told be quite frankly that I could never be a programmer and should find another career path. There was one of the most frustrating things that ever happend to me. One thing that helped me was understanding why this moment was frustrating to me.

The good part is that now I can type all day long without no pain. There are quite a few people on this site that have been able to overcome severe chronic pain and now can work on the computer with no symptoms at all! If we can do it, so can you.

4. Josina Stresemann

Hey Forest,

thank you for your encouraging reply. This is so great! I indeed hope and believe :))) I will one day be one of those persons who couldn't even type their name without pain and is now unrestricted. I am working hard for it!

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Josina - and Welcome!

When you get to the part of the Structured Educational Program where you are asked to write an unsent letter, you can write to that doctor! And, because we want to spread the word about TMS, maybe you can even send her the letter! I'm seeing my general MD this week for a checkup, and I am looking forward to telling her of my successes since the last time I saw her 15 months ago. Back then, the only thing she could tell me was "lots of my older female patients have dizziness". Well, now I know more than she does about that!

Jan

6. Josina Stresemann

what a great idea! Good luck at your check up, i am curious to hear how she will react.