1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Go Sox!!!

Discussion in 'Community Off Topic' started by Forest, Oct 30, 2013.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

I may not be much of a sports fan, but I can't help but expressing a bit of my home town pride. It's the first baseball world series that we've won at home in 95 years. The last time the Red Sox won the World Series, Fenway park was a mere 6 years old. Now it's 101 years old.

Boston has had a tough year, with the Boston Marathon bombing happening just a couple of miles away from Fenway. The course of the marathon actually passes about a 100 yards from the park.

I'm tempted to hop a train to Kenmore and watch people celebrate, but I'm off to bed after a long day of wiki work. I'm also tempted to text message my buddy Bruce, a Yankees fan who hates the Sox and who lives in Kenmore square, where everyone goes to catch the train after leaving Fenway park. He's probably swearing up a storm right now, watching the throngs of celebrants as they leave...

One of my roommates, a postdoctoral biomedical researcher from Taiwan, just got home from work. I asked him if he wanted to go down to Kenmore and flip cars. He looked at me like I was crazy and I laughed. He knows me well enough to know that I wasn't serious, but I guess I do have a bit of a mischievous streak in my sense of humor.

Go Sox!!!

[​IMG]

plum likes this.
  2. yb44

yb44 Beloved Grand Eagle

Wow! I don't follow baseball over here but my dad was a Sox fan. He and his next door neighbour, a Yankees fan, used to stand in their yards and shout at each other about their respective teams. It was all in good spirit though.

3. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so cool, im from GA- home of the Braves but I love the sox-
    and all those Beards , man they had to win so some of em could shave;)

Im so proud forest that this has happened, it does bring some hope back into the hearts
    of all the fans and especially those living in Boston. That was a hard memory to take-
    with the Marathon. This is a way some can pick up and move on ya know

Im glad you posted this.
    Thanks man

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

I have to admit that I was rooting for the Cards. (I AM a Midwesterner-- at least I was until I moved to TX) But there's no doubt that the Red Sox outplayed them. Great games.

5. Forest

Thanks for your stories and kind words, everyone. It was just a nice thing to see for my hometown.

My hometown newspaper posted the following mashup of Ellsbury trying to steal second and getting in a bit of a pickle:
    http://zeega.com/158214
    Not great art, but it brought back memories of getting insomnia and coming downstairs to see my dad watching Benny Hill.

6. Forest

Well, earlier this morning I got to worrying that maybe someone upstairs might have been a Cards fan as well. We're having such unseasonably warm weather and such high winds that the power went out!

Or maybe it's a punishment for the car that got flipped over. Sadly, it looks like some group of kids actually did do that. Luckily, a fund was started to help the victim get a new lease and it has already met its goal. As the good samaritan who started the online fund said, "The whole point of the page is they don't represent Boston, they don't represent Red Sox fans. Four or five people flipped a car but how many hundreds of other people didn't do that."

Here's the video where you can see both the unfortunate deed and the interview with the guy who tried to make it right:
    http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...flip-over-car-donation-site-helps-replace-it/