1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Getting REALLY mad...and then feeling GREAT!

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by NolaGal, Aug 20, 2013.

1. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

If you've read any of my other posts you probably know that I've gotten amazing results in a short period of time due to learning about TMS. I've been journaling and dealing with several issues from my past, and have had a huge reduction in my "RSI"/ shoulder pain - most of the time near 100%. I still kept feeling the "absence of pain" though, and a little bit of pressure in the area, which is still a near-miracle to me.

So, this morning I uncharacteristically got all worked up over a couple of very bigoted comments to an article my husband posted on Facebook. I engaged in an online argument (something I very rarely do)with someone I don't even know, shaking with rage and frustration as I was typing. I was crying, yelling, and practically stomping my feet while my poor husband was trying to calm me down. I kindly and tearfully told him "no, I NEED to get angry about this". I'm pretty sure it brought up an issue from my childhood -racists in my family. It infuriated me then and it infuriates me now. I've always had a strong sense of justice and fair play, for as long as I can remember. I guess that was just ready to come out this morning because, y'all - I felt GREAT today, at least physically. Emotionally I've felt a bit spent, but my shoulder area feels the best it has ever felt since I can remember! Almost zero tension and I've had long periods today when I didn't think about how it "wasn't hurting".

I don't think it's a good idea to go around looking for righteous arguments just to get some anger out, but I thought I'd ask around here on the forum and see if anyone had had a similar experience.

2. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

NolaGal, Quote)- I don't think it's a good idea to go around looking for righteous arguments just to get some anger out,
    but I thought I'd ask around here on the forum and see if anyone had had a similar experience.

Eric Watson)- If your letting out anger then your not repressing it, that's good-
    just don't hold negative feeling after you let them out ya know
    its not a good idea to be mad all the time that's why we sooth, and you know that-
    so your doing great. Don't go out and keep getting mad ,
    Just take more time to meditate and sooth ya know- You'll see
    Your doing great, but if you stumble and hurt or something
    then don't panic it will leave.
    Then you'll be 100% again then you might have another set back.
    Then you'll recover completely more and hurt completely less .
    or you might never have another setback
    I had to learn to be prepared for all three phases cause its not linear.
    but your recovering just as your supposed to- it looks like we have an overcomer
    Thanks

NolaGal likes this.
  3. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Thanks, Eric. :) Great point about it not being linear, too. I've always needed things to "make sense" and they don't always and I'm learning to be more okay with that.

4. Endless luke

Endless luke Well known member

I wish it were as simple as finding something that makes you angry, getting angry, and then feeling better. I think that your experience where it happened naturally is much more likely to work. If you are able to bring about this kind of positive experience by searching for something to be angry about I'd love to hear about it.

5. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

Ha! No, I don't think I'll be trying that. I've never been one who liked being angry for the heck of it. Yesterday felt great/awful at the same time, but I do want it to only happen naturally, like you said. I think that's the only way it will be an effective tool.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya Nola,

I had a similar experience several months ago. I was spending time the weekend with my family and I got very angry at my father and started yelling at him. Not so surprisingly the pain I was having in my jaw for the past few weeks suddenly went away.

When our TMS personality is in full force we repress our emotions so much, that we won't even realize when we are angry. Yes, there are unhealthy ways to express anger, but once we begin to release it in a healthy manner and not feel guilty about being angry, then we will see a significant reduction in our symptoms.

7. NolaGal

NolaGal Peer Supporter

I had an interesting experience yesterday. We were watching a really sweet video on YouTube and I was trying not to cry (just habit - it's just what you're conditioned to do when around other people.) I realized that my shoulder was getting more and more tense and starting to hurt. I just went ahead and let myself cry. The pain and tension started going away immediately! It was just my husband and myself watching - no big deal. I'm just so conditioned to keep in strong emotions. What a great "in the moment" lesson!

8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I was just red-rage angry from a phone call. I get several of them every day from electric and gas service companies wanting me to switch to them for supposed lower rates. I keep telling them I've researched the subject a lot and decided to just stick with the companies I now have. But the calls keep coming in and are so annoying, I now just do not answer my phone. If anyone really wants to reach me, they can email me. Thank God for email.
    The telephone has become too annoying. I rarely get a call from friends or family... they email me.

I am now laughing, hoping to use that method to forget my anger.

9. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I got two more of those energy phone calls yesterday and just got another one this morning.
    But I didn't go into a rage. I just told them I wasn't interested and hung up.
    I don't even need to laugh.

NolaGal and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.
  10. Eric "Herbie" Watson

Eric "Herbie" Watson Beloved Grand Eagle

This is awesome NolaGal
    Now your seeing the Power of Release-
    Feeling the emotions.
    Powerful.
    This is when you know your in the right direction
    Thanks for keeping us posted.