1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Get the subconscious to do what you want - video

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Layne, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Layne

Layne Well known member

Hello all! I came across this video while doing some other self-improvement/spiritual growth. The video is pertinent here in that it discusses the subconscious mind and how we get it to align with the conscious mind. She explains steps about how to get the subconscious to do what you want and the steps really connect up with the principles of overcoming TMS. For example, her step 4 is to get examples. She says we need to get real life examples of how the goal has been reached by other people to convince the subconscious that the goal is possible (reading TMS success stories!)
    I hope you find it as helpful as I did. I know I sometimes need very explicit guidelines for learning new material, so having steps laid out for me was really helpful.

2. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Layne,
    Thanks this was a great video. It totally reinforced what I am doing. Have you used these steps and how have they worked
    for you? What has really worked for you?

Now, I understand why it is important to read the books related to TMS over and over again.

May I ask one more question? Do you journal often and how is that working for you?
    Thanks again,
    G.R.

3. Layne

Layne Well known member

I'm glad you liked it! I haven't really tried it as she explains it. I believe I have done each step in a roundabout way... . I have a tendency to stuff a whole bunch of information in my head and let it filter through... I try out/learn a bunch of new stuff and then end up back at the ones that are "meant" to be involved in my recovery.

The thing that has worked the best for me is journaling! Oh man I had no idea it could be so helpful! I journal all the time. I'm at a point in my life where I'm spending a lot of time alone so I journal every chance I get. Psychologists will call it isolating, or avoidance behavior but I call it cocooning. I can see where it would get me in trouble but I need to heal, and the best way for ME to do it is in seclusion for a little while. I am very active while at work and I get plenty of social interaction so I don't mind coming home and holing up or spending my days off alone at home.
    I will even write something down at work if I think of it. For example, yesterday I was whining in my head about how I feel like I can't stop for two minutes to breathe without my male supervisor seeing me stop and wondering why the heck I'm standing around when there is so much to do. I caught myself and wrote it down so I could remember to address it later. I have still yet to explore it but I realized it's a running theme in my life; I feel like everyone is just waiting for me to stop moving, to mess up, to do something wrong... It's especially interesting that it only happens with my male supervisor...

I also find it helpful to read the success stories. And I am on day 26 of the Educational Program and that has been really helpful.

It depends on the day but I use different journaling styles. One that I have become particularly fond of is one that I sort of developed myself. I meditate regularly so I combined meditation and journaling. I meditate to get in the flow and just type type type. I close my eyes and let my fingers go to town. I type out everything that comes to my mind and even what sensations are going on in my body at the time. I wrote 9 pages yesterday doing this!!! The stuff just kept flowing out of me.

I am also reading a book about trauma and a book about self love that are proving just as helpful, if not more so, than doing the program.

Good luck! You're sooooo much closer just by becoming involved here!

4. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Layne,
    Your last posting really motivates me to journal more. It is not flowing from me yet but I would assume
    as you just continue it will flow. So, you are doing the Educational Program on TMS wiki. That is awesome.
    What did you find helpful from it? Maybe I should start that too. I am so happy you are doing well.

Did this ever happen to you? I had two great days this week. I slept well and during the day I had minimal
    pain. Then, at the end of the second day the pain started again in the sciatica. There was not anything
    emotional I could dig up. In fact I was so happy that day to be pain free.

However since January I had about two and half weeks with almost no pain, then a day here and there.
    I am trying not to get discouraged when the pain comes back. I get a taste of freedom from being pain free
    and I love it. Did this ever happen to you and how did you handle it?

I do find writing posts on this TMS wiki to be very helpful and comforting, especially when someone writes
    back with suggestions.

Thanks so much for your kind response,
    G.R.

5. Tami

Tami New Member

LOVE this video, thanks for sharing.

6. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Tami,
    Is there anything you have been doing that has been helping you? Techniques, journaling, books, videos...
    Thanks,
    G.R.

7. Layne

Layne Well known member

You will find your flow, for sure. Just keep at it. It was hard for me at first, as well. Definitely check out the program. Honestly the most helpful part has been just to be committed to the journaling. I think having a "format" to which I have to stay committed is helping. Otherwise I might make up excuses why not to journal everyday.

I can't say that I have had anything like that happen in recent memory... Have you thought about maybe feeling guilty for feeling better? Have you explored reasons why you might identify with the illness (and the thought that "letting it go" might be frightening in some sense?)

I'm pretty new at this so others may have more to say... :)

8. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Layne,
    I am going to start the structural program tomorrow. I am thinking of posting each day on the Educational Forum. I find
    just posting things on these forums is very therapeutic for me.

Are you reading any books, also? If so, which ones did you really feel helped.
    Thanks,
    Rose

9. Layne

Layne Well known member

Did you start it?! How's it going so far?? Yes, posting here certainly does help. Lots of wonderful people here willing to give advice and support. It's great.

I just finished The Mindbody Prescription by Sarno himself, Waking the Tiger: Healing Trauma by Peter Levine (SO GOOD.) and am now reading (but have listened to a couple times) You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay.

veronica73 likes this.
  10. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Layne,
    I started the program yesterday, Day 1. I am thinking of posting every day because I think that could be therapeutic for me.
    What do you think?
    G.R>

11. Layne

Layne Well known member

Good for you! I think you should do whatever you think will help you the most. If that means posting here everyday, then do it. I think it's probably important not to put too many rules on it though... Just go with it and if you feel like posting, then post. If not, don't. :D

12. G.R.

G.R. Well known member

Thanks, Layne.
    G.R.

Layne likes this.