1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Day 6 Flaring up and trying meditation

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by Orion2012, May 17, 2015.

1. Orion2012

Orion2012 Well known member

I am in the middle of sciatic flare-up. I notice that I have been on a pain roller coaster for a few months, flaring up for a nasty week or so every three to four weeks. I have been going through the SEP a little slow, about half-speed. Anyway...

I recently signed up at a local yoga studio where they have mediation classes several time a week. I have been to two meditation classes so far and find it helps with the pain. I felt the pain leave in anticipation of the second class. Just knowing I was about to meditate soon made me feel better. Mediation helps me feel calm and at peace and forget about the pain. Although the pain returned shorty after the class, all the fluctuation in pain is helping fully convince me this in fact TMS. I'm pretty convinced.

I can't seem to give up my physical remedies, though. Massage, inversion, trigger point release, and the hot tub all help with the pain when I flare up. Do I really need to abandon all of these things? Isn't it OK to treat the symptoms, to get some relief? As long as I recognize it for what it is?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Orion,
    Dr. Sarno prescribed pain meds for people, knowing that their pain was psychosomatic (and telling them the same). You know that your physical treatment does slow down the correct TMS treatment. Over time, just try to do less and less of the physical ---if you feel you really need it right now. Partly your awareness helps to "not believe" all of the physical causes, but also your mind-body is responding to the ways that you act out your old patterns of "thinking physical," keeping you in the same conditioned pain patterns. Try to taper off, and be gentle with yourself.
    Andy B.

3. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Orion. I like Andy's reply to you. Tray gradually to rely less on massage, etc. and rely more on TMS to heal you.
    And there can be great relief in a hot tub.

So long as you believe 100 percent that your pain is from TMS repressed emotions and/or a perfectionist or goodist personality,
    the extra help is okay.